Chapter 8: Death

There was not one person who wasn't dressed in all black. Today was a day of mourning for all the Uchiha. The entire clan, whether it be infants, children, or adults, were cloaked from head to toe in black. They all stood in front of their burial grounds, in front of Tajima and the five clan elders – Yuuna, Ryoichi, Ichiro, Kiyoshi, and Masuyo.

It was not often the Uchiha had such a large burial, but they had suffered heavy losses. So many families stood in front of them, children crying from losing a brother, sister, father, mother, uncle or aunt. Women tried their best to hold themselves together, some doing better than most. The men seemed unfazed by the deaths, but it was a smoke screen for the loss they felt inside. Death was an everyday occurrence in the Uchiha, but the pain it brought still hurt, and that could not be changed.

Tajima stood in the middle of the Elders as they spoke and named off everyone who had passed. He knew each of these people, both deceased and the living. When a name was called, he would watch as certain individuals held onto each other and let out silent tears, letting him know who belonged to which family. And when the names were finished being called out, they looked to Tajima for his words. This was never easy. He closed his eyes, flashes of Hiroshi, his wife, and his deceased children moving through his head.

He made himself vulnerable in front of his clan, something he did not do often. To them, he was to be strong and invincible, but in their time of need, he knew better than to let his ego get in the way of being there for his clan. They needed to know he knew what they were feeling. They needed to know their leader was here for them in their time of need, and that was something he didn't mind doing.

"Those we have lost, both in past battles and in recent, will never go away. Every day, they walk beside us, watching over us soundlessly, unseen, but always close by, still fulfilling their duties as shinobi by protecting their clan. They are still loved and missed dearly but never forgotten. Death leaves pain and creates a void in our hearts – in our souls – that nothing and no one can heal. The love we have for those deceased leaves memories that no one can steal, and that is what you must hold onto through your time of mourning and for the rest of your lives."

His clansmen and women all looked to him, and it was a look that warmed him mind, body, and soul. It let him know how much these people – his people – respected him not only as their leader, but as a human being capable of sympathizing with those who have lost as much as he. Nothing could beat such a feeling. With the usual over, the families were free to go to the graves of the ones they loved and mourn.

Tajima joined up with Madara, who had joined Hakuoh, Eiko, Hisen, and Kizuna, who carried his young daughter with him. They were identical in what they wore – plain black yukata's with black obi's and shoes. He bowed to Hisen as well as Kizuna, but hugged the two girls before him. "I am so sorry."

Hiroshi's eldest daughter, Eiko, smiled at him. "It is as you said, Tajima-sama – they will never be forgotten and will forever be in our hearts. My question is, how are you?"

"I will be alright, Eiko, with time."

With the greetings over, Tajima fell behind them to walk beside Madara, who was silent and cold as ever, but Tajima had been in his son's life since his birth, and could see the cloud of sadness that hung in Madara's eyes. It was not as great as the despair written on the face of others, but it was there. After all, Hiroshi had been in Madara's life since he had been born and was like an uncle to the boy.

"Has Izuna said anything on Anju's condition?" The silence between the two was broken by Madara. He took a sideways glance at his father. Tajima did the same, but was rather caught off-guard by his son's question. Madara wanted to know Anju's condition? How odd. "She looks better. Her skin has returned to normal and he moved her into Hiroshi's home now that she is in better health. But, she has not woken."