Chapter 9: New Leadership

The joy on his face could be seen for miles. Anju was awake and she was okay. Oh how scared he had been when he awoke this morning and she wasn't in her bed. Those seconds of panic had been the most stressful thing, next to watching Anju die and the death of his mother. It had faded once he felt her chakra in Aito's room.

Now, they were once again separated. Izuna waited outside her room as Elder Yuuna and her assistant evaluated Anju's condition, both mentally and physically. It was agonizing, for both of them. Izuan because he had to wait for the verdict, and Anju because she had to deal with Elder Yuuna touching her and checking vitals, and then writing it all down.

It was not until the end of the evaluation that Elder Yuuna exited the room, a grim look on her face. Her assistant followed with the same look, but left the household while Elder Yuuna stayed behind to talk with Izuna at the end of the hall.

"How is she?"

"Emotionally unstable and physically unable to perform the simplest jutsu's. Her body just won't let her – it's not ready, and I have to wonder if it ever will be."

Izuna's eyes narrowed. "What do you mean?"

Elder Yuuna sighed. How was she to explain this? She couldn't explain it. In all her sixty years, she had never seen a poison do this kind of damage. Ever. "I've never seen anything like it. The antidote rid the poison from her body, but it's already done its damage. Her lungs will scar and she cannot do simple things like walking without wanting to faint. Her blood pressure is high, and her temperature still isn't normal but it won't kill her," she looked Izuna in the eyes, "but her body as a whole has suffered terrible effects, and I have to wonder if this was jutsu and not a poison. With time it is possible she will recover, but there is also a chance she will not. Something is wrong with her chakra and chakra network, and until I can figure out what, she is not to train and is to be accompanied by you always."

Izuna was shocked. It was really that bad? A little but of poison had caused all this damage? He looked to Anju's room, and felt her suffering. As much as he wanted to help her, he did not want to lose her. He couldn't lose her. "Hai, I'll watch her Yuuna-san. I'll try to keep her out of trouble."

She nodded. "Do so lightly. She is very upset, and if she is upset any more than she already is, well, you can use your imagination there. I am going to see if I can find anything to help me with her case and test these samples. Until then, I know you will keep a good eye on her."

What was he to do? What was he to say? If Elder Yuuna thought that Anju would listen to him, she was mistaken. She was a strong willed and fiery young woman, or she once was at least. Now, that fire seemed to have faded when he walked into the room. She was dull, lifeless, like a doll. The only notion given to him that she was alive was the steady fall of her shoulders as she breathed.

He observed her for a moment, watching her as she watched the storm raging outside from the window. It made him smile on the inside, but sick all the same. During storms like this, the two of them usually would have gone out, trained, and help Anju harness her lightning nature. Now, the thought made his insides hurt. She may never fight again. She may never again feel the adrenaline and joy of going into battle.

Not one word was said as Izuna stood there, observing her from the doorway. What could he say to her? Words did not seem appropriate for this, and so, he approached her with silent footsteps and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, burying his face into her freshly washed hair as he did so. His love, his best friend, his partner in crime, his partner on the battlefield, and his hopefully bride to be. He could feel her suffering as the news set in.

"You're suffering is my suffering, Anju. Please, let it out." He felt that she wanted to cry, but she did not. "Anju, for once, please. It's not healthy to hold all of this inside." She stayed silent. The only indication he had that she was listening to him was the hand that reached up and held his.