thirty eight // pick a colour*

It had been four months since Rory had left the hospital after the accident, four months since Calum came back into her life and four months since she lost the baby. It was hard on Rory, her heart shattering as she saw mothers with their children when she went out; it hurt Michael to see Rory in this state but it also hurt him seeing fathers teaching their sons and daughters sports in the local park.

Michael sighed and gently combed his fingers through Rory's hair as she laid her head in his lap, her legs pulled into her chest as she traced shapes onto Michaels thigh. "I'm proud of you, Ana." Michael whispered, his voice cracking ever so slightly as he looked down at his girlfriend. She was sad, there was nothing Michael could do to help her and that broke his heart.

He wanted to take the pain that laid beneath her skin and put it underneath his own, he missed Rory's smile and her beautiful laugh, her awful renditions of Mötley Crüe in the shower and the lazy wink she would give him when she climbed out of their bed.

Rory twisted her body, the back of her head resting against Michaels thighs as she looked up at him and smiled weakly. "I love you," Michael smiled softly at the purple haired girl and nodded in agreement, "I love you, more than anything and anyone." Rory closed her eyes briefly, taking a deep breath before pushing herself up from the sofa.

Michael watched her with a confused gaze, "Come on, we're going to dye each other's hair." Rory grinned, the light Michael adored flickering back into her eyes. Michael immediately jumped up and rushed towards Rory, his palms cupping her cheeks as he kissed her. Rory giggled quietly and held onto the material of Michaels shirt.

Michael smiled against Rory's lips and slowly pulled away, his forehead pressed against hers. "Why the sudden burst of affection?" Rory giggled, her hands moving to Michaels hips, her nimble fingers slowly lifting the material of his shirt upwards.

Michael shrugged and bent his knees, snaking his arms behind Rory's thighs to hoist her up. A surprised squeal left Rory's mouth as she hooked her legs around Michaels waist. "What colour do you want your hair, Gordon?" Michael shrugged once more as he carried Rory to the bathroom, gently setting her onto the granite counter once they were in.

Michael bent down to the cupboard situated under the sink, pulling the doors open and tapping his chin as he observed the collection of hair dye the couple had built up.

"I want to bleach mine," Rory smiled, knowing it would push Michaels buttons a little. "You know what will happen if you bleach it?" Michael asked, still looking at the collection of hair dye boxes.

Rory swung her legs back and forth and tapped her fingers on the counter, "I'll go bald before you do." She teased, a large smile pulling onto her lips as Michael stood up from the cupboard and crossed his arms over his chest.

"I am not going bald!" Michael protested, lightly stomping his foot as he stuck out his bottom lip. Rory laughed and poked Michaels lip. "Put that lip away, you child." Michael shook his head and stuck his lip out further.

"Fine, I'll just move in with Luke again, at least he acts his age." Rory shrugged innocently as she pushed herself off of the counter. Michael immediately grabbed Rory's hips and lifted her back onto the counter, pushing open her legs so he could stand between them. "Pick a colour, Princess." Michael mumbled as he nuzzled his face into the crook of Rory's neck.

"You're such a loser, but I love you," Rory smiled softly, her fingers running through Michael's hair.

~

Michael stood in front of Rory nervously, his fingers laced together in front of him as he rocked back and forth on his heels. "I just want to tell you that I love you, very much," Rory shook her head, hoping the towel that Michael put on her head would fall off.