Chapter Seventeen: Backstory

I walked across the street towards the hospital with Kit by my side, her bob hair cut flopped against the cool autumn wind as she tried to keep up with my quick paced walking. I was still impatient when we were in the elevator. Kit had a worried look on her face but I knew it was all fake.

"Are you alright?" she asked as we stood right in front of Marina's door.

I nodded and swiftly I opened the door.

That's when I couldn't breathe. I stood staring at Dylan. At the bed side holding a gun pointed right at Marina.

"Emma?" he said my name and I wanted to faint.

I didn't want to see him right now not like this, not like how he's going to shoot Marina and kill her. I just couldn't. I knew how he saw me right now, scared, vulnerable, my clothes tattered and my face scarred. I could feel the piece of my heart slowly peel away as well as my body and skin leave me. Peeling away like an onion. I was ready to cry.

"What are you doing?" I hoarsely whispered at him and his head hung low in sadness.

His eyes pleaded for me to not hate him, but that seemed impossible "Y-you don't understand-

"I think I clearly do!" anger ran into my veins like a freight train and I couldn't breathe anymore at all, what is Dylan trying to do? Why would he go and try to Marina like that?

"Then what, Emma? What do you know?" he asked then pointed the gun at me.

"What're you doing?" I asked him. Not knowing what to do, I was on the verge of attacking him or breaking down into frustration and confusion.

"Get away from her." he said addressing the unaffected Kit. Her face was stoic, calm, and serious.

"Why are you killing her friend?" she asked coolly, clearly not scared of the gun that's pointed in front of her.

"I said get away!" Dylan shouted angrily at her but she rolled her eyes. With that being noneffective, he tried to think of a different idea.

"Emma," he snapped to a turn at me with begging eyes "get away from her she's going to kill you."

I shook my head, Dylan was about to kill Marina. I'd rather take my chances with Kit.

"What the hell? Look what she did to you!" he snapped angrily which made me want to run away as his hand that held the gun shake a bit out of anxiety. I couldn't though yet hide the fact that my clothes were tattered and that I looked like a mess.

"Right now, I trust her more than you." I said which shocked him so much that it hurt me too much to say.

"Y-you don't mean that-

"I do." I replied calmly. With that much being said, it was the equivalent pain of being kicked in the balls.

"Come on, Kit. We're going." I said ready to turn away, but I still had my mind glued on Marina, how was I going to save her?

"You're just gonna leave your friend there?" she asked, I thought she's be dead by now, to be in a coma for this long. It's impossible for her to still be alive. But yet something in me doubted that she'd be anywhere close to being saved.

"Emma-

Frustration snapped in me like a twig.

"What!" I raged at him.

"I'll tell you." he said hoarsely and I rolled my eyes impatiently, ready to shoot anything and everything I see insight.

"Tell me what, Dylan? What the fuck are you going to tell me?" I asked him.