Chapter 40

Shane's POV

It has been over three hours and I could still hear her heart-breaking sobs. I stayed right outside her door. It's my fault that I let my grandpa's discussion get a hold of my mind. How did I not consider the reality that now it isn't as the old times and traditions anymore? She is my equal and I shouldn't have treated her the way I did in front of not only my pack, but Xander's as well?

The pack shouldn't witness such sight of their Luna.

How can I treat her like just a regular pack member? Heck, I haven't treated anyone like such before and now, my own mate. To say I am frustrated at myself would be an understatement. When Evelyn mind linked me asking for help, terrible scenarios started playing in my mind. To add on to that seeing her with Conrad didn't help one bit.

An Alpha needs to put his mate and pack members in place to keep his pack strong. I've heard many stories about your mate. Not that I support how you rejected her, but she cannot hold that grudge against you forever and treat you with just disrespect, grandson. Mate or not, you're still her alpha. A Luna is never an equal... your grandmother ruled after me, but not with me. She serves me advices, but the decisions are up to me - my command. At times like this... you need her to learn her place and she would understand that you require her respect in order for the pack members to respect you. To be afraid of doing you wrong, ever. They can often be weakness, but it's up to us to make them our strength instead.

When I saw her with Conrad and thinking about things that could've happened if I didn't get to her on time my wolf thought nothing other than my grandfather's words.

At that time all my wolf thought was of how she could've been taken away and tortured and what not to make it worst he felt betrayed as to why our mate didn't consider to listen to us.

I don't know how I would've been able to ever look at myself again if Bran didn't intervene. I am still the same old jerk of an alpha. She could do so much better... she deserves so much more than this. So much more than me.

"Evelyn..." I begged for her to open the door once again. I can't handle her crying anymore. Both, my wolf and I were ashamed to no extent.

I humiliated her in front of the pack. Shame. Humiliation. The two things lingering through every cell of my body, but the only difference is... she's the one bearing it on herself. Not me...she's the one bearing my shame and embarrassment considering what I pulled up earlier today.

"Please...leave..."  I heard her mumble once again.

"No! Evelyn! Enough with this its been three whole hours...you let me in NOW! Please..." I pleaded, signing heavily and knocking repeatedly.

Slumping my shoulders I was about to slide back down onto the floor, but she slowly opened the door. Her hair was a mess, her beautiful green eyes now red and puffy - cold, her cheeks were red with her nose and tears stained her beautiful soft cheeks. Oh my...

My wolf whimpered at this sight of our mate knowing well we are the cause to this.

"Okay, Alpha" she bowed, her voice monotoned, breaking my heart as I diverted my gaze to the floor.

"Evelyn...I-I..." I started, only to be interrupted by her again.

"Anything I could help you with my...Alpha?" there we go with the 'alpha' again.

I could feel my wolf longing for his mate, but her wolf was evenly upset; in fact, she seemed in most unpleasant state.

Without thinking, I just hugged her tight walking into her room and shutting the door in process. She started to cry once again, trying to break my embrace, but I wouldn't let go.

"Shhhh..." I comforted her, brushing my hand through her long, silky soft hair. She continued to mutter and cry out disrespectful words towards me. Disrespect can go to hell with that! She's my mate; she can do anything she desires!

Finally, she calmed down after a few minutes as her eyes pierced into mine.

"Y-you were g-going...to...reject me again?"

~Evelyn's POV~

Once I got some strength to talk, I questioned looking into his eyes.

"Y-you were g-going...to...reject me again?" Hurt flashed through his eyes as I saw them turning glossy.

"N-no...not really...b-but-" I pushed him away from me moving to the safe distance.

"NO? THEN WHAT WERE YOU GOING TO DO? PUT ME IN A CELL WITH OTHER ROUGUES YOU HAVE THERE? LET ME DIE? OR ABUSE OR GET YOUR GUARDS TO TORTURE ME UNTIL I RESPECTED YOU, ALPHA?"

Horror flashed through his eyes as I felt my wolf taking over.

"No..." he whispered, shaking his head taking a step closer to me until I glared at him daring him to take one more step towards me.

"No, baby I would never lay a hand on you! I-"

"SO I was right then? YOU WERE GOING TO REJECT ME?"

"GOD SHUT UP!" He threw up his hands in frustration before running them through his hair. Gosh how much I wish those were my fingers running through his soft hair, but that's not appropriate right now. I flinched at his tone.

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO OKAY! BUT IT WASN'T ANY OF THOSE TWO FOR SURE! I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! MY WOLF FELT BETRAYED AND SEEING YOU WITH CONRAD MADE SO MANY horrible scenarios to flash through my mind... I can't afford to lose you...I can't..." by now he was on his knees breaking my heart, but I wasn't ready to forgive him.

Inhaling and trying to gain my posture, I spoke my next words, "from today, I will be your mate that you've ever dreamed of...I will respect you and do as you say whether it's regarding pack or our relationship. I won't rule with you...I will only serve you everything you require. I will do all you mentioned between fifty people today." My words coming out stronger than I expected...being a sign that my wolf is with me on this.

"But... that won't be my usual Evelyn then... no... I don't want that..." He whispered the last part. His beautiful blue eyes stared straight into mine pleading me to just forgive him and run into his arms again.

"Well, that's just something you'll have to deal with then" with that I leaned down placing a soft kiss on his forehead and walked out of the room. Leaving him there broken, sad still on his knees.