Chapter 41

Evelyn's POV

When I walked out of the room, the only thought that crossed my mind was would things ever get the same as they used to be again? Will things ever get any better or will I just lose him again?

However, when I walked passed Shane's office, I heard a few voices looming from the other side.

"I don't know what... yes, exactly!" that voice I recognized immediately as Conrad's, but I couldn't quiet catch onto the other one. So, I did the accurate thing to do - I walked in.

To say I was confused would be an understatement. As if realizing right away, Conrad spoke up, "Evelyn, this is Shane and I's grandpa, Nolan; and grandpa, this is Shane's mate and the packs Luna, Evelyn. The previous beta's daughter..."

Okay... well, this just makes things awkward. I didn't want to meet Shane's family in the state I was currently in. I don't know why I was nervous, but I just had a feeling his grandpa isn't so fond of me.

Walking up to him, I smiled at him warmly extending my hand for him to shake, "Hello, I'm Evelyn Welsh. It's very nice to meet you, sir."

He never stood up, but shook my hand with a light smile. "Oh, yes, I have heard a lot about you young lady and no need to be so formal. You can entitle me as grandpa just like your mate; however, about meeting you... I don't think you're in such presentable state as a Luna should be. May I ask why?"

Well, too much about being polite ugh.

"Just not feeling too well and I am sorry for just barging in. I was passing by and-"

"And you eavesdropped. Yes, I understand. Another thing that isn't too polite for a Luna, dear." He shook his head with a smirk on his face. Now, I see it just runs in the damn family.

"My apologies, but I didn't mean to eavesdrop...you should know with the werewolf hearing and all. Plus, no offense, but Conrad isn't any less of danger to our pack... for now. So, I was just doing what a Luna should do, protecting my pack."

"You sure have a big mouth young lady and that's your mate's job to do. I am pretty sure he is the Alpha here. A Luna is known to be polite and stay out of men's business; and I think my earlier chat with my grandson did some good, but I'm sorry it cost your this state." He did not just go there. I see who manipulated Shane now. This ignorant man.

"I think you are mistaken, my state is like this because of me... not him. As for being a Luna, believe it or not I am his equal," I emphasized on idioms 'am' and 'equal' to make myself clear. "And about your grandson, he did exactly what you expected off of him." With that I flipped my hair making my way out; however, I bumped into Shane and I was very well aware he heard everything that just happened, but I chose to ignore him and walked out.

"Evel-"

*****

It's been four days after that dreadful day. I don't know whether that time was the worst or now. I have gotten back to focusing on school now that the whole 'Conrad attacking our pack' issue has been resolved. As far as I know, but Shane and I aren't exactly on talking terms, so all I know is - they did have a "talk", which I know nothing about.

When I have been caught up into school work and hanging out with Bran and Ashley at lunch; meanwhile, Shane has been hanging out with his 'popular group' again. First few days he attempted to hang out with us, but the tension was getting too hard to avoid, which caused him to move back to his old typical friends.

Melissa as usual trying to make contacts with him, but I don't see Shane responding her the way she expects him to, but nor that he does anything to stop her. My wolf hates the sight of another she wolf hitting on our mate, but I've convinced her to just wait until he makes a move to make things better.

"I think you guys should talk this out, Eve. You look horrible and I see him getting agitated when Cole approaches you. Just talk this out... please?" Ashley intervened my plague of thoughts.

"Alright" I signed heavily. I made my way to his table and I could feel everyone's gaze and attention turning to me.

I lightly patted his back, "Shane, can we talk?" I questioned politely, avoiding the drama.

"Evelyn, sure we can bu-"

"Oh, but Shaneyy aren't we all going for ice cream?" Melissa pouted, trailing her perfectly manicured finger down his shoulder causing my wolf to groan with annoyance.

"Not now, Mel." Mel? Seriously? Why he is not pushing her hand away? Oh, wait I know! He wants to make me regret my choice, but I don't care!

"Shane?" I questioned, making my presence known.

"Oh yeah, I was saying why not, but after school. Okay?" Of course, of course he would say that cuz of his "ice cream" plans with the slut.

"Actually, never mind then. Let's just talk some other day, I have to go out with Cole, Ash, and Bran" throwing him a fake smile I walked away.

'Saw the result? I tried.' I linked Ashley, whose eyes showed sadness rather than pity.

I could feel his eyes on me as I made my way back to our table, and also Melissa resting her head on his shoulder didn't go unnoticed by me. My wolf whimpered and I know he felt my emotions, but he didn't seem to care or resolve this between us.

Great! One more fucking day of embarrassment. I am done trying to be the only one to put in the effort.

"