Chapter 34

Conrad's POV

"Sir, are you sure you want to do this?" My second hand, Marcus questioned causing me to frown. Every time I close my eyes I see her. She was gone because of him.

"What do you mean? We are doing this and that's final!" I spat, gritting my teeth and pounding my fists hard on my wooden desk, throwing him a pointed look.

"Listen, yes, we are. However, you do know he is going to build alliance with much stronger pack than ours right? And sorry to burst your little bubble man, but just a prompt that we don't have many people joining us out besides two packs, which indeed aren't even too big - only hundreds each!" He argued. I was infuriated, but I knew he had a point, but then again, I got nothing to be anxious about. I got the upper hand on this one, Shane. Doesn't matter who you form alliance with. Just thinking about it caused me to smirk.

Crossing my arms over my well built chest, I turned my back on Marcus.

"Prepare for the battle. He knows we are coming and before you doubt me just remember that I always got the upper hand. After all, I'm the older brother" I stated, smirking as a threatening growl escaped my throat.

"Oh yes of course boss," sarcasm clear in his voice causing me to clench my jaw in irritation "but let me ask you something. You aren't getting all this geared up relying on that slut are you? She's a weak mutt, Conrad. I don't understand why you would rely on her regarding this!" I bit my bottom lip holding back my laughter. Only if he knew.

I turned around in order to face him, standing there motionless as a wide smirk spread on my face.

"She's anything but weak, mate. Something that he isn't aware of. You can leave now!"

"And if she betrays?"

"She wouldn't! She got no reason to. Leave!" I snapped.

Evelyn's POV

"I said... I'm uhh... Xander's mate and I walked out on him..." This caught me off guard. How is this possible?

"What...? And why?" I enquire, raising my eyebrow - curiosity taking the best of me.

"I d-don't want him to get hurt..." she responds, truthfully. I could sense the gloom behind her expression. She meant every word of it. Never did I ever think Stacy would be so considerate.

"I don't know what you're protecting him from... he is an Alpha. However, you do know that you're the one hurting him by walking out on him right?"

She didn't utter a single word just simply nodded, despondently. Regret flashed through her eyes. Regret is what wounds your soul for longer than anything else.

"Just go talk to him tomorrow. I'm sure he'll understand. Xander is the most understanding person I know..." I trailed, giving her a genuine smile.

She stiffly nodded, but her facial expression appears as if she was in deep thought. At first I was confused, but it then occurred to me.

"Oh Stacy..." I calmly chuckled. "Xander is like a brother to me!" I assured her giving her hand a little squeeze, causing her to blush with embarrassment.

"Thank you, Evelyn. I really appreciate your support and-"

'Pack meeting tomorrow at seven sharp! Everyone should be there. No excuses will be accepted.' Shane mind-linked, cutting off her response. I frown, thinking of why pack meeting is set all of a sudden.

Shane's POV

The sun shined bright in the sky. Everyone began to assemble and the crowd began to form. Every pack member gathered sharp at seven as instructed last night. Xander will be calling in his strongest fighters by dawn today.

Taking a last glance if everyone was present, I walked up to the front along with Evelyn by my side - ready to start with the meeting.

"Thank you all for being here on time on a short notice," everyone bowed with respect, but when my gaze landed on my father all I saw was, proud in his eyes for me. "Now, as to why we have gathered on abrupt notice? Well, as you all know, Evelyn is my mate and your Luna. This meeting is to aware you all that since past few days... we have been receiving letters - threatening her life."

Everyone gasped looking at each other. I noticed how Evelyn's eyes went wide with astonishment. She threw me a puzzled look, but that can be dealt with later. I gently held her hand giving it a light squeeze to reassure her that everything will be well.

"The war is suspected to happen anytime after this week. Training sessions begin today at noon. Kids under the age of nine can be left with Stella and Martha in the pack house. Rest of everyone should be here. Rounds for patrols will be doubled. Are there any questions?"

No one said anything, just nodded with understanding. I held my hand up high giving them sign of dismissal.

"Alpha," Stacy started, approaching my way once Evelyn walked off with Bran and Ash.

"What is it Stacy?"

"You don't need to train the pack too hard. Only basic training shall work." She stated, confidently.

"What? Stacy, this isn't a joke. It'll be a serious wa-" interrupting me, she continued...

"Shane, trust me... we will win no matter what!" She exclaimed, but what stunned me is... how is she so convinced?

"H-how..?-"

"Let me show you. Come inside." I followed her to the kitchen, where Evelyn was there along with Bran, Ash and Xander. Ash, Bran and Xander were as usual, bickering as always.

"Excuse me ladies..." Stacy called throwing them a pointed look. Before more bickering takes place, I converse.

"She says this war is nothing to really fret about with her around." I said shrugging. All four of them threw me baffled stare.

"Stacy, this isn't funny... it's actually serious," Xander started, but she beat him to it.

"Trust me guys!" She exclaimed. Her eyes going wide as she stared right into Xander's eyes like pleading him to have faith in her, which is pretty strange if you ask me. I don't even know what type of Alpha I am! I know nothing that's going around in my pack. I could feel the tension arising in the room for some awkward reason. As my gaze locks with Evelyn's, I could see distress flashing through hers eyes.

"But...is it even safe to trust her?" Finally, Bran decided to speak up lightening the tension in the room.

Stacy turns her head in his direction as I see a wide smirk form on her face. We all stare at her confused, but that's only until she picks up the knife off the table aiming it straight in Bran's direction - before extending her hand.

"BRAN!!" Ash and Evelyn screamed on top of their lungs. However, what happened next caused all our jaws to drop with astonishment.