Chapter 33

Bres POV

Kirstie pulled me to her car. "I'm fine! I went through the national guard. You really think they would let me pass without them!" I yelled.

"Better safe than sorry." Kirstie mumbled throwing herself into the car. She started the ignition and we zoomed through the streets. She came to huge halt.

My heart fell through my chest.

Flashback

I was running. As fast as I could. A branch or root or some crazy wood structure stood in my path. I tried to avoid it but I was hit. I was dropping. With every inch I could smell the dirt more and more. My heart fell through my chest as my fragile body drew near to the Earth.

End

My body was being shook and my vision went back to normal. "Bre, are you okay?" I nodded and jerked away from her, shrinking in my seat.

I don't know what these memories are or what they mean. Why aren't any of them good?

Kirstie pulled into the hospital. "Caleb will be in here waiting. He needs them too." I nodded still keeping my distance.

Caleb was standing next to the sliding ER door. My heart skipped a beat when I saw his stubbly face. My feet pounded pavement as I ran to him.

It was a clìche movie meet up. The run and hug. Cute though. "I've missed you so much." I whimpered in his chest.

He laughed, "Missed you more."

Caleb started to explain his absence of the few days. "I went to the bar to get a drink and I saw Nate from highschool. We got well acquainted again. He let me crash at his place. I stayed for a few days because of my huge hangover. I'm sorry I made you stay there alone." I nodded and pecked his cheek.

"Totally understandable."

We walked hand in hand with Kirstie behind us to the ER desk. Caleb demanded we were in the same room for the exam. The nurse agreed.

We got pricked and poked. We were fine. I knew we were fine.

The doctor put his hand around the back of my neck to help with putting a bandaid on my shoulder.

My vision dazed.

Flashback

Caleb and me were nuzzled up for warmth under a tree. A rough skin grazed the back of my neck. When I turned around, there was the biggest snake staring me in the eye, ready to pounce.

End

My body was shaking and I was on the floor with nurses everywhere.

"We are going to need you for a night."

Caleb and I were closely watched by doctors all night. They were diagnosing whatever I had. The results would be in any minute.

The doctor walked in with a clipboard in hand. "Bre, you seem to have post traumatic stress disorder. It's where you are so scarred by a scary event that it haunts you. We will get you pills. You can leave now."

We all walked out. Now I'm just happy to see Leenie.

-

We walked in and Breanna had her head in her hands. "What is it, are you okay? Where have you been?"

We answered all her questions and she understood. I told her she could leave. Everyone left the apartment and our family was alone.

Caleb and I went to put Leenie asleep. I supported her head in my crook of my neck and held her in my arms.

"We should sing to her." Caleb whispered. I looked up at him and he smiled back at me. I nodded.

We picked the song, "Lean on me" and sang it A cappella.

Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain, we all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on

Please, swallow your pride
If I have things you need to borrow
For no one can fill those of your needs
That you won't let show

You just call on me, brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'll understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on

You just call on me, brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'll understand
We all need somebody to lean on

If there is a load
You have to bear that you can't carry
I'm right up the road, I'll share your load
If you just call me

Caleb was recording me the whole time on his phone while we both sang to Leenie. I tried to make him delete it but it actually was really cute.

We put Leenie to sleep and decided to sleep ourselves.

We tangled our legs under the covers and I cuddled close to him. I mumbled, "Cal, promise to never leave me."

"Promise."

"Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise."