Chapter 39

What an amazing party my friends threw for me.  I had the best time. I'm really glad that they were only ignoring me to keep the surprise going. They really had me going. After my birthday school picked up quite a bit.  Semester exams, cheerleading, and school in general were keeping me so busy.  Studying was one of my top priorities. The ACT test was approaching fast. Not only did I have to worry about that I had to start planning the junior prom as I am on student council.  My school provided a few ACT prep classes but I was still super nervous. The test is on 5 big subjects.  English, Reading, Math, Writing, and Science.  The quality of my college is partially dependent on my score on this test.  

Most of my friends already have prom dates and I am obviously going with Zayn. Even though I assumed we were going Zayn went above and beyond to ask me. There was a choir concert and the whole high school was dismissed to watch.  Just as the final song finished the choir director announced that there was a last minute performance.  Out walked Zayn as the tune of Lucky by Jason Mraz played. He rewrote the lyrics to ask me to prom.  I could not believe how cute that was. I immediately ran into his arms and accepted.  

After I found my date I was worried that my friend Rachel wouldn't get a date.  She asked a guy back in November that she was majorly crushing on. To her he was the world. He was so sweet, kind, funny, and just a joy to be around.  They spoke almost everyday and when she finally got the courage to ask him to prom he told her he wasn't sure if prom was his thing but he would think about it.  She didn't worry as he still talked to her everyday until winter break.  Her old friend came to visit for the week and all of a sudden he wanted to hang out with Rachel every night.  He even waited outside her house and called to ask her to come for a ride with him. She was naive and didn't see how badly she was being used until one night he asked for her friend's number. She was absolutely crushed. Her friend offered to talk to him about prom and try to convince him. Too late. He was already falling head over heels for her friend.  Rachel was devastated but decided to play it off as her friend was leaving soon anyway.  After her friend returned home Rachel tried to talk to the guy about prom but he just didn't seem the same. Their friendship had changed after that. They barely spoke at all. Things became almost awkward.  Rachel was fed up around January so she gave him an ultimatum.  He had to decide whether to go to prom with her by the end of January or no.  He got irritated at the "rush", as he called it. He told her no since she was apparently rushing him. Rachel finally saw his true colors.  Rachel didn't know what she would do since everyone basically was already paired off.  One of the guys in our class was her last resort and she had reached it. The guy wasn't a bad guy but they weren't very close friends.  She had settled and was not as happy with her choice as she should be. The night after she asked our classmate she got an unexpected text.  It was from one of the cutest seniors in our school.  

"Hey, are you going to prom?" -Sam

"I am,why?" -Rachel

"Well I was wondering if you have a date already?" -Sam

"I don't. :(" -Rachel

"Would you want to go with me?" -Sam

"Are you serious?" -Rachel

"Wait, you think this is a joke?" -Sam

"Yeah, sorry someone pulled this prank on me freshman year." -Rachel

"That's terrible. But no this isn't a joke. I just know you are a super nice girl and every girl deserves an amazing junior prom." -Sam

"I would love to go with you." -Rachel

Our classmate ended up finding another date anyway and Rachel was able to go with Sam. All of the underclassmen were so jealous of Rachel's date.  I was so happy for her. She is the sweetest girl I have ever met.  Our class decided to have a masquerade/classic ballroom theme this year.  Simple, elegant, and timeless is the direction we want.  After all of my friends and I had dates we planned our shopping trip for dresses. I had had my dress in mind since last year and was determined to get  it.  We found a dress shop about an hour away and had the whole day to decide. The shop workers were so kind and helped us all look for our dream dresses. After going through racks and racks of gowns I felt like giving up. When finally I showed the worker the dress I had in mind. She lit up with excitement. 

"I have that dress in the back! It just came in upon high request!" 

"Can I try it on?" 

"Of course!" 

The lady rushed to the back room and brought the dress out in all three colors, mint green, coral, and lavender. I had my eye on the coral one online but when I saw it in person I didn't like how orange it was. I tried it on anyway and hated it.  I thought why not put the green one on. I tried it on and it fit like a glove and I loved it. I never thought I would fall in love with a green dress.  The worker told me I could bring this one home today if I wanted to since it fit me so well. I agreed immediately and got ready to pay.  I had found my princess dress and was more excited than ever for the night I had dreamt of since I was a young girl.  

The following weeks flew by and I bought the rest of my prom essentials when I could.  Instead of the classic heels I went for beach glass colored Converse All Stars.  I found an adorable heart clutch to hold my things. The only thing left to buy was a mask.  None of the store masks really matched my dress how I wanted so why not get a little creative? The girls in my class got together to decorate custom masks for this once in a lifetime event.  Each mask was tailored to match each individual dress and girl's personality.  Setup was the thing to worry about next. Assembly could take about three days of hanging plastic walls, lights, and every decoration possible to turn a normal venue into a dream prom. 

______________________________________________________________________

How was that? I just needed to write down this chapter! I have been so busy! I want to thank each one of you great people who have stayed with me through the long breaks and everything! I appreciate it so much! As some of you may or may not know this story is like taking a first hand look into my life in a way. Some of these situations are almost exact replicas of things I have been through.  I say some because I don't really have a boyfriend named Zayn and I mean some of the things in this book are so fairytale. But thank you again for reading and I will try to update when I can as I am on summer break now! Leave me a comment below on what you thought! Also if you are still reading how many of you attended prom this year? What did your dress look like? I want to know! Here are some pictures from my prom! (external link) 

love and thanks always, 

brianna xoxo