CHAPTER EIGHT: Room of Requirement

CHAPTER EIGHT: ROOM OF REQUIREMENT

Fred awoke with a start and sat upright in bed.

He'd had the same dream: again.

"She's just a friend," he murmured to himself. "That's all she is to me."

"Fred?" George's groggy voice came from the bed next to his.

"Huh?" Fred asked.

"Shut up," he groaned, rolled over and went back to sleep.

Fred sat up for a few more hours until sunlight began peeking through from the drawn curtain. When it finally seemed appropriate he dressed in his school uniform and headed down to the common room, at the same time Lucy hopped down the stairs.

She eyed him once before continuing on her way. But she didn't look upset, it looked like she wanted to talk to him but it wasn't worth it.

"Lucy?" He asked.

She paused in her tracks and then turned around.

"Are we still friends?"

She shrugged. "We always have been."

Fred nodded and remembered when she'd first come to Hogwarts. Hermione had been gracious enough to look after her and she was the one who'd introduced them. Fred had been expecting a girl who'd be the spitting image of her father and have a tempter to match, but she subverted everything Snape stood for. It took some getting used to but eventually got on so well, Lucy even joining in on the pranks he and George were so fond of.

"I don't know why you're acting weird around me," she continued.

"I'm working through some stuff," he admitted, half-lying.

"Well shall we work through some stuff together while we take a walk around the castle?"

He scratched the back of his head and the image of him holding Lucy in his arms from his dream returned to him in a flash. He looked at her blankly for a moment while he automatically said. "I can't, I'm sorry."

"Whatever," she walked away without a second thought.

Lucy headed off and her mood hung over her head like a rain cloud. She couldn't help but feel hurt but she was so good at disguising her feelings she just wore a mask of solemnity. She'd learned to do so from her father. She couldn't believe Fred's change in attitude but she wouldn't let it get to her, she wouldn't...

She rounded a corner and found Draco standing there, Lucy glared at him as he passed. Draco had been convinced Lucy was adopted by Snape in first year and called her a 'filthy mud-blood.' He'd attempted to get Crabbe and Goyle to beat her up, 'try' being the right word. She had both of them whimpering before they knew what hit them, literally. Lucy remembered Fred laughing and cheering with his brother, he was —

Lucy scowled and tried desperately not to think of him.

She channeled her anger into Draco instead. "Malfoy."

"Snape," venom penetrated his voice.

They said nothing more and each parted separate ways. Lucy shook her head and carried on her way, people like Draco weren't worth her time. She carried on down the hall and then paused.

She took a few steps back and looked at the door that seemed to materalise before her very eyes. It stood tall and proud and she gasped before dashing off to the great hall.

*

While Harry tried to shield Ron from trying to snatch his remaining French toast he spoke to Hermione, Fred and George joining in. They were so distracted that they didn't see Lucy pelt in and nearly trip up when she tried to slow herself down.

"Harry, I've found the perfect place for the Defence Against the Dark Arts meetings," she announced, breathless.

A wide smile took over Harry's face. "Really? Where is it?"

They all leaned in when Lucy bent forward to tell them, she kept her voice low. "Seventh floor. The door appeared right before my eyes, as if it just knew exactly what I needed."

Hermione took a sharp intake of breath  and everyone turned to her. "The Room of Requirement!"

"How is it you know everything?" Ron turned to her, perplexed.

"Honestly Ronald do you not read?" She shook her head in dismay and then continued. "The room only appears when someone really needs it."

"It's like Hogwarts wants us to fight back," Harry beamed. Everyone nodded and Lucy took a seat next to George, Fred looked up seeming a little hurt but tried to dismiss it. She grabbed some toast and then laughed at something George said. Fred clenched his fist under the table and tried desperately to keep his feelings under control.