CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: You and I

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: YOU AND I

Fred had taken to studying in the Transfiguration courtyard. George didn't know what had come over his twin but let him get on with it, he was still perfecting the Fainting Fancies. But despite Fred's claim he really wasn't getting much done. He'd always be looking up for Lucy to see if she appeared, she did a few times but she was always with someone. He wanted to talk to her alone but there was no way that was going to happen if she always travelled with a companion.

It seemed everyone had a companion nowadays; even Draco Malfoy.

Draco held the hand of Louise Jeanie, his girlfriend and fellow Slytherin as they wandered into the nearly empty Transfiguration courtyard. Fred didn't know much about this new development but he did know that Pansy Parkinson had been looking pretty glum these past few weeks at Draco's sudden interest in Louise.

Fred had never seen Draco so smitten with anyone and Fred was almost fascinated by their relationship. Fred wished that he too could be as confident in his words to snare a beautiful girl. But here he was, in the Transfiguration Courtyard 'studying.' The only thing he did seem to be studying was how to treat a girl from, of all people, Malfoy.

Malfoy kissed her once on the lips before he left to go to Transfiguration. Louise turned on her heel and began to walk off and then noticed Fred.

"Hey, aren't you the one with a twin?" She asked when she'd paused in her tracks.

Fred nodded. "That's me."

"You usually hang around with that Snape girl, don't you?"

"Also correct."

Louise gave a sympathetic smile. "You like her, don't you?"

"She's my friend," he said automatically.

"Uh-huh," Louise smiled at him before skipping off, Fred supposed that's what love did to you.

*

"Great work today everyone. We'll meet next week as usual, same time, same place. Thanks for all your hard work," Harry announced proudly at the end of another DA meeting.

Everyone called their thanks to him before filing out of the room. Lucy made her way to the exit and began walking off in the opposite direction of the Gryffindor Common Room. Fred saw her just in time before she turned a corner. He followed inconspicuously and found her sat on a window ledge looking out over the Hogwarts grounds.

"Long time no speak," he said.

She turned to face him. "Hi, Fred." She seemed a lot nicer than she had a few weeks ago.

"Can I sit?"

She threw her bag on the floor and took her outstretched legs and tucked them in the corner. Fred sat down in front of them so he had a good view of her as well as the Hogwarts grounds.

"Did you see my idea for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes?" She asked, continue to gaze out of the window.

"The fainting fancies?" He asked, averting his gaze from the view. "George showed me, it seems he's nearly finished the recipe but it seems we're going to need some subjects to test them out upon."

"I'm happy to volunteer seeing as it's my invention after all."

"It could be dangerous," Fred was worried for her.

"I'll be fine, besides, dad said that you shouldn't be handing out items that haven't been approved. I think if I can take them anyone can."

"Not all heroes wear capes," he laughed and swung her legs onto his lap causing her to laugh. It had been a lonely two weeks without her.

"Been up to much?"

"Studying."

"No!" Lucy was astonished. "You, studying?"

"You can never say I didn't try."

"Oh I won't. It seems you're a changed man."

They fell into silence and they both admired the view before Fred spoke again. "So why're you not back in the common room?"

"I just felt like catching a little break, besides everyone will be storming in there after the DA meeting and the common room will no doubt me rowdy until the wee hours of the morning what with everyone being social."

"Agreed," he subconsciously placed a hand on her leg .

She looked out of the corner of her eye at the placement of his hand but said nothing. Instead she swung her legs off of his lap and Fred couldn't help but feel rejected until she scooted over to him. His arm found its way around her waist.

"I hope your dad's not patrolling this evening," Fred said.

"Oh he'll be too busy marking homework to patrol tonight," she responded and the way she had to tilt her chin up to look at him made him realise how close they were but neither wanted to move.

"I've never really noticed how green your eyes are before," he mumbled to himself more than Lucy.

Then before either of them knew what they were doing they were kissing. Fred had made the first move and his lips were upon hers and he placed his free hand on her face. Her arms were around him and they stayed that way for a long time. This had been a long time coming and once they started they didn't want to stop the outpour of emotions from themselves.

No one knew about the red haired boy and the green eyed girls blossoming love that night. No one but themselves.