chapter 53

Sarah

"You've been extra quiet tonight Mikey," I tell him once were snuggled up in the bubble bath. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, just been doing a lot of thinking today."

"Can I ask what about?" I'm curious now.

"Us."

I take a drink from my beer and stay quiet to see if he's going to continue.

"You realize it's been a month since Jingle Ball?" he asks. It was exactly one month ago today that Rob's plane crashed. When I had to sign all the paperwork to make my employment legal, I realized what the date was.

"Yeah, I noticed that earlier today."

"I know you've needed time, and I hope I've been giving it to you. You know I'm here for you, and your kids and I always will be, but I really would love to be able to call you my girlfriend. Only if you're okay with it though. I really don't want to rush you into something you're not ready for."

When you think about how it's only been a month since I lost my husband of eighteen years, that seems like a very short period. But in my heart, I've been losing him for nearly ten years. Call me cold, call me whatever, but last month was the end of my very long grieving and I'm sick of crying over something that will never change. I was ready for it all to end one way or another anyway. Fate just made my decision for me.

I sit up and turn around on his lap, facing him with my legs wrapped around his waist and I crash my lips onto his, taking him by surprise as our mouths and tongues getting into perfect harmony with each other. When I pull back for air, I whisper, "I'm more than okay with it!" He smiles my favorite smile, connecting our lips together again. As I run my fingers through his hair, deepening the kiss, his hands find my breasts, massaging and kneading them in his grip. When I start rocking on his lap, his hand lowers further and further, leaving a light trail of fire from his fingertips and he puts one inside me, making me moan. I continue to rock, in synch with his finger, dropping my head back in pleasure.

"Oh fuck I'm close," I whisper causing him to speed up and push me over the edge.

"Ready for bed now babydoll?" he asks me. I can't speak yet, so I nod in agreement. We climb out of the bath, and work our way out of my bathroom into my bed, where I give him the same attention he gave me.

The following morning goes smoother and we make our way into the office with extra time. Jane hasn't arrived yet, so Mikey is spinning around in circles in one of my extra chairs. Such a kid!

He glances in to James' office and smiles. "I want to take you to lunch today," he says.

"Okay! I'd love that!" Just then Jane comes in. Mikey gets out of his chair and comes up behind me, kissing me on the cheek, then starts out the door. "See you at lunch babydoll!" he says quietly, then disappears.

I bury myself into the stack of documents, skimming each one to catch up to speed on where things stand with the company itself. The next stack will be all the documents pertaining to Hey Violet, followed by everything dealing with 5sos. I finish the last one for all the corporate business end with the label when Mikey comes in, getting a paper from James and tells me it's lunch time.

We walk out of the building to a small Italian restaurant next door and sit in a private corner booth. Once we order, I ask Mikey what he's up to. He's had this devious grin on his face all morning, and he's a bit fidgety right now. He hands me a document that I skim over, my jaw hitting the floor.

"What? Are you serious Michael?"

"The only signature needed now is yours. We all loved the pictures you took of us in DC. There's one in particular that we want to use for the label. We are going to pay you for the rights to that photo if you'll let us."