chapter 77

Sarah

"Vanessa," the doctor addresses her coming in the room. Dr Williams glares at me on my phone and I put it away instantly. Shit. It's buzzing like crazy in my pocket and I can only imagine how panicked Mikey is getting. Hurry up doc.

"I have the results of your blood work," he tells Ness. "I have good news and bad news. Or bad news and more bad news, depending on how you take it. First of all, you are not pregnant." Ness and I both sigh with relief. "That is apparently the good news. The bad news, however, is that we need to do further testing. Your blood levels were alarming and we need to test your thyroid levels more thoroughly. Thyroid levels can be easily corrected with medication, so we're going to start there."

"And that would cause me to miss my period? And get nauseous?" she asks him.

"Yes, those are definitely symptoms of imbalanced thyroid levels." What a relief! The nurse draws more blood and the doctor says he'll let her know the next step when the results come in.

As soon as the doctor leaves, we hug each other tight, then she gets dressed and we leave the office. Once in the car, I read all my messages from Michael. Yeah, he's freaking out. There's a few from Ashton and Luke as well. The one and only text from Calum reminds me that she needs to call him asap:

To Sarah
Please tell me you're there for you?

I decide to text Mikey briefly first then the others after she calls Cal.

To milkshake 1
Relax babe, everything is fine. Almost home. Explain then.

As soon as we pull into Michael's driveway, I turn to Ness. "Call him. Now. He knows we were at the OB/GYN thanks to paparazzi shit. You have nothing to be afraid of. You're not pregnant, but you had legitimate reasons to think you were. It's easily corrected, and it's better that you found out now rather than later."

As she's calling Calum, Michael bangs on the window and he is mad. Really mad. As soon as I hear that she's connected on the phone with Cal, I get out of the car to deal with Mikey.

"What the fuck Sarah? Why were you at a... whatever they're called, baby doctor? Are you pregnant? Why couldn't you tell me? I had to find out from twitter. It's all over twitter now cause of Jayden."

"Michael! Stop!" I interrupt his rant. "First of all, I was there to support Ness. I'm not pregnant, that's not even a concern right now. Ness was the one seeing the doctor. She didn't want me to tell you. She needed to find out what was going on before she could tell Calum anything."

"And no one else could go with her?"

"No one else knows about Cal!"

"Is she... Is he... Oh god he's gonna flip."

"She thought she might be pregnant, but she's not. Something's wrong with her thyroid, which can easily be fixed." He sighs deep and hugs me tight.

"Oh my god I was so scared. Not that I wouldn't want to have a child with you, just not now. If you would even want to. I don't know. I'm just not ready for that shit. Oh my god I'm rambling!"

I start to laugh. "Mikey, it's fine. Let's cross that bridge when and if we get there. I'm sorry for scaring you. I hope you understand why Ness wanted to keep this quiet until she knew what was going on though, right?" He nods and I peek into the car at Ness. She's smiling as she hangs up the phone and rolls the window down.

"All good?" I ask her.

"All good. Thank you for going with me Sarah. I couldn't have done it without you."