Chapter 7: Skeletal Removal

Sans

"SANS!"

"yeah bro?"

"HAVE YOU SEEN THE HUMAN?"

"she's at school."

"SCHOOL FINISHED HOURS AGO!"

I sit up from my position on the couch and look at the clock, five thirty. She should be back by now cooking dinner. My phone beeps and the caller ID says Duska. I quickly pick it up and read the message.

Having surgery on eye. May not give me all my vision back but it will look normal again.
Be back home in a few days. Be good please.
Duska

P.S Please hide my artbooks from Papyrus, I may have been drawing him and i'm scared that he'll keep the book forever before i'm finished.

"she's having surgery!?!"

"WHY IS SHE HAVING SURGERY?"

"her uh... eye papyrus."

"OH... YES... SHOULD WE GO CHECK ON HER?"

"good idea. c'mon, we'll take a shortcut."

As soon as he takes my hand we appear in the hospitals waiting area doorway.

"Excuse me! Sirs!?!"

A woman walks up to the two of us, a middle aged nurse from the looks of it. A clipboard is underneath her right arm while a pen is in hand.

"Are you two Papyrus and Sans?"

"THAT IS US HUMAN! WE ARE HERE FOR OUR ROOMMATE!"

"Sorry but she's not out of surgery yet. Your welcome to wait, the doctor will tell you when you can see her."

She points us to a vacant area of chairs and walks off to continue her jobs. I walk to them without a word and begin waiting.

"SANS. WILL SHE BE ALRIGHT?"

"course she will. c'mon bro, come wait with me."

It's been hours. Papyrus got tired of waiting, literally. He's asleep on my shoulder right now. He's still a little kid inside, despite he's tall stature. He hasn't changed a bit in years. I myself am getting a little tired but I want to make sure nothing happens to Duska, I protect my friends. I try to at least...

"Are you Sans or Papyrus?"

A human doctor surprises me. His gloves behind him seem to be covered in blood, did he just operate?

"hmm? i'm sans."

"Ah. Your friend Duska will be fine. Her eye will take time to heal but it will eventually look similar to what it did before... whatever happened. Do you know what happened?"

"if duska didn't tell ya then i shouldn't."

His sudden change in facial features tells me all I need to know about him, he obviously likes to know everything about a person. Blunt and cruel show on his face, I dislike this doctor but I don't show it.

"Hmpf... your either a good friend or a horrible one. She won't have full vision in her left eye and no glasses will fix them either."

"is she alright though?"

"Yes, she's asleep right now. She's in room two fifty-three if you want to go see her now."

I give him a nod in reply and he goes to do whatever doctors do after surgery's. I look at the sleepy bones beside me and begin shaking him awake. It only takes a few seconds before he's up on his feet.

"HMM? SANS, WHAT OF THE HUMAN?"

"she's in room two fifty-three."

"LET US GO THEN!"

"she's asleep still."

"WELL THEN WE SHALL WAIT!"

"i'll wait here."

"YOU WILL NOT YOU LAZY BONES!"

Before I can say another word he throws me under his arm and carries me towards Duska's room, I was sorta hoping to just sleep out in the waiting room now that I know that she's okay. As Papyrus opened the door the first thing I see is the bloody patch stuck over Duska's eye. He puts me down beside a chair as he sits beside Duska on the bed. He quietly waits there, waiting for his friend to wake up, and it makes me sad. He wouldn't believe how many times that i've seen him... die. Me sitting beside him as he turns to dust or arriving just too late to save him. I think it was around four hundred resets but I had probably lost count at some point. I remember how happy he was the day I said that we were moving to the surface, he was literally bouncing off the walls. The night we moved in, he was so happy that he wanted to stay up for a night and day just so he could talk with Duska.

"Hey Sans, you look out of it."

I look up to see the smiling face of Duska, tired yet happy. I shake my head and shrug at her.

"you really should've told us."

"Probably... yeah..."

"YOU SCARED ME HUMAN I THOUGHT THAT YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE YOUR SKELETON REMOVED SO THAT YOU DIDN'T NEED EITHER OF YOUR EYES!"

"Pap, I told you that if a human ever tries to remove their bones that it wouldn't end well."

"I KNOW. I WAS STILL FRIGHTENED! EVEN THE GREAT PAPYRUS GETS SCARED FOR MY FRIENDS!"

"Thanks Pap but i'm fine now. Promise."

"GOOD! WHEN WILL YOU BE BACK HOME?"

"A week."

"WHAT!?! I HAVE TO LIVE WITH SANS FOR A WEEK ALONE!?!"

"you've lived with me since forever."

"THAT'S COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT!"

He pouts as Duska giggles, she seems pretty tired.

"Sans?"

"hmm? yeah kiddo?"

"Who's older? You or Papyrus?"

"me."

"How old are you two?"

I feel my skull contort as I try and convert monster years into human years. Since we lived without a day or night for so long our time has changed between us, also we live longer than humans do.

"monster years are differnet to human years. papyrus would be... seventeen and i'd be twenty-one in human years."

"So i'm in the middle?"

"HOW OLD ARE YOU?"

"Nineteen."

"guess you would be. how did you get into college so young?"

"I left high school early and went straight to college by using my foster parents money."

We sit around, talking about each other every time we visit. Which is almost everyday since Papyrus misses her too much. She told me that she did it for him, so that he wouldn't see the eye he couldn't save. I teared up a little but quickly wiped them away before Papyrus could see them. They finally let Duska out after three days but she had to wear the patch on her eye for another two weeks.

"YOU REMIND ME OF UNDYNE WHEN YOU WEAR THAT."

"Really? I think hers are cooler than this dull thing, can't wait to get rid of it. She looks cooler than me with an eye patch anyway. Don't tell her that."

"WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU GET HOME?"

"I'll show you some drawings of mine, you'll like them. You too Sans."

"sorry, can't. got work."

"ALL YOU DO IS SLACK OFF! JOIN US AT LOOKING AT THE DRAWINGS!"

Duska's remaining eye had a hint of sadness in it at my reply.

"alright then. afterwards, i'll sleep."

"YOUR A LAZY BONES SANS!"

"heh heh... yep."