Chapter 16: The Shadow

Duska

I open the door to the apartment to be surprised by Halloween decorations around the loungeroom. I've been at school all day, studying for the test that's coming next month. Too tired to yell that i'm home I throw down my bag and land face first onto the couch, falling asleep as soon as I connect.

I feel a bony finger poking my right arm and I notice that my face feels numb from laying on it as I slept. I turn it over to see the short skeleton smirking at me, obviously surprised at my position on the couch.

"hey kid."

"Wha..."

"sleepin's my job."

"Yeah... school sucks..."

"don't tell toriel that."

"Urgh..."

"come on kid."

"Why...? I'm tired Sans..."

"mettaton's package will be here soon. rather be awake beforehand."

"Huh? Why?"

"THE PACKAGE IS HERE HUMAN!"

The sudden loud voice rings through my ears as the tall skeleton runs into the loungeroom and drops the three boxes, two large and a smaller one, each with a seperate name on the side.

"Pap... I just woke up..."

"YOU HAVE GOTTEN TOO LAZY!"

"School tired me out..."

"I WANT TO SEE THE CLOTHES METTATON GOT FOR US!"

I look up to the smiling skeletons face, only a cold hearted person could deny that face. I look over at Sans for help but he just shrugs and points at the boxes.

"paps usually wins with these sort of things."

"Ugh... fine. Give me a minute to wake myself up... Help me up please?"

Before Papyrus got to my side I feel myself being lifted from the couch, Sans is glowing blue with his hand slightly below his shoulder height. He gently places me down on my feet and his smile widens mischievously.

"Meanie..."

I stumble into the bathroom and wash my face with cold water, the icy water quickly wakens my senses. I dry my face off and walk back into the loungeroom, where Papyrus was using a sharpened bone to try and open my box.

"PAP!"

My voice frightens him and causes him to jump in fright. The bone flies through the air towards Sans, who teleports to the other side of the room.

"SANS! ARE YOU ALRIGHT!?! I'M SORRY!"

"i'm good bro."

"I WOULDN'T BE SO WORRIED IF YOU WOULD ACTUALLY RAISE YOUR HP!"

"like i said, i'm good bro."

"Wait, HP? How much HP do you have?"

"HE ONLY HAS ONE HP!"

"Seriously!?! Isn't that dangerous?"

"i can dodge attacks fine."

"Me too but I still have more than you. Don't I?"

I don't know how monsters see peoples... stats. How do they see their health and attack? And was it coincidental that stats are also in games?

"you have thirty hp. more than average."