Chapter 22- Galbatorix

Rhaegar sat on his bed. It was 3 hours past twilight. His mind raced through an infinite number of possibilities. For the majority of his life, Rhaegar was an outcast. The name of Galbatorix hung over him like a stone in water. His first month at Vroengard was unbearable. No one would look at him. No one would acknowledge his presence. Only Eragon and Saphira took an interest in him and Demetri. It was the first time he felt loved. Eragon had more reason than most to hate Galbatorix, but his understanding and willingness to provide guidance had indebted Rhaegar to the cause. Now, he was partially accepted. There did not appear to be any ill will between him and other Riders. However, he knew that if word were to get out to the general public, that all could change.
Have faith Rhaegar. Eragon would only give us what he knows we can handle.
What if the others do follow my suggestions? What if we fail?
Then we make sure we look good doing it.
Rhaegar laughed. Demetri hatched for him under the most precarious of circumstances.
Rhaegar was on the run from a vigilante group after Galbatorix fell. The orphanage where Rhaegar grew up was raided, with hundreds of children being slaughtered. In the dead of night while the carnage continued below, Rhaegar leapt from rooftop to rooftop while being chased by masked murderers. Finally, he dove off a bell tower, landing softly in a pile of hay. He was almost clear before he was hoisted into a cart by a carrier elf, Vohdr. The masked bandits were cut down by the other elves and Rhaegar was questioned. After making up a story about a stolen piece of bread, he was released, not before touching each egg in the cart. There were three. A black veined stone, a grey, rough stone and a navy blue rock. He was repelled by the first two, but upon reaching the third, his palm was marked with a black gedwey ignasia. His life was a whirlwind since. Upon reaching Vroengard, he had his consciencenous probed by Eragon and Saphira. There, his childhood was revealed. Eragon and Saphira spoke silently before resting Rhaegar's fears of an execution. His mother had been one of Galbatorix's concubines. Fearing the wrath of the Mad King, his mother had him and sent him away in silence, so as to not incur a confrontation with Galbatorix.
Eragon will probably assign us a town to garrison and fortify. If we can do this successfully maybe it will dispel the preconception of our past.
Do you think we can win?
There's only one way to find out.