Chapter 15- Hardship

Eragon watched Arya as she rested. He carried her through the adjoining doors to her room. Covering her in blankets, he too sought to retire. But only after he had contacted Saphira.
In the privacy of his own room, he speared his thoughts across hundreds of leagues to Ilirea where Saphira was.
Saphira.
Little one. How goes your journey?
We have stopped over in Alamain for the night. Nothing out of the ordinary so far, but I fear that the mood will change once word of the attack has spread.
Hardship never killed anyone.
Yes it did.
Hardship only kills the weak and helpless. It is our duty to protect them.
And protect them we will, Saphira.
They were silent for a moment, allowing images and thoughts permeate each other's consciousness.
Saphira...
Yes, little one?
Eragon inhaled. Before leaving Ilirea, Elva appeared to me. She whispered a prophecy, or a warning of sorts.
What did she say?
Eragon recounted what Elva had told him.
The Joining of the Minds..., Saphira said. The words are familiar to me, yet I do not know their origins nor meaning.
I have a hunch. But I do not wish to speak it until I am assured.
Very well. Keep your ears peeled. Dark times are approaching and we should not be idle ducks just because of our power.
You will be the first to know if anything happens. However, Saphira, if something were to happen, I do not think it wise for you to come unless absolutely necessary.
Seven years ago I would have though you foolish, however you are no longer a hatchling, and I agree with you.
How goes preparations on your end?
Well as can be under the circumstances. Hundreds are pouring into the city everyday to take up arms and thousands are coming to seek refuge. Orik has arrived with a contingent force, but that was merely to ensure his safe travel.
What of the Urgals and men from Surda?
Saphira stayed silent for a moment. Nar Garzhvog has faced heavy opposition for his leadership. Many of the Urgal race disagree with the notion of combining forces. Their blood is hot and they have forgotten the oppression of Galbatorix. He has sent two of his chieftains along with three hundred urgal and kull to Ilirea. They camp on the western plains, away from the citizens.
It will do well for us to welcome them, Saphira. If you would, will you and Firen send them my greetings and make them feel welcomed?
Of course, little one. There is more, however. King Orrin seems oblivious to the impending threat and has been lackadaisical when it comes to responding to Nasuada.
It is expected he would be as such.
You should get some rest. The journey will be tougher as the days go on.
You as well, Saphira. Goodnight, I love you.
I love you too.