Chapter 2- Snow, Dragon wings and a cup of Mead.

Roran was awake before his eyes were open. To his right, underneath a thick woolen blanket, he felt the slow rise and fall of Katrina's breathing which gave him comfort. Groggily, he awoke, slowly rising out of bed to greet the new day. As far as he could tell, it was half six. The village was still dark, with dawn edging closer. Roran dressed himself in his typical work attire, strapped on his hammer and went to wake Ismira. Her room door was open and her covers were strewn messily. Concerned, he searched ground floor but to no avail. The sun was rising, so Roran decided to look around the village. As he exited the front door, he saw Ismira facing a cloaked figure, and a vast beast. Roran approached cautiously, one hand on the pommel of his hammer.
"Has Saphira always been this big?" inquired Ismira, admiring the dragon's widespread wings?
"No, she's grown over many years haven't you Saphira?" chuckled Eragon.
Careful, Eragon. You wouldn't want to insult a dragon
"Ismira, who...?" Roran began, as he managed to get a glimpse at Eragon.
"Eragon..." he said, struggling to get the words out.
"Roran, brother it has been a long time."
For a moment, they stood there, gazing at each other. Eragon, Roran had noticed, had not aged in the past seven years. Seconds felt like hours, when suddenly, both men moved forward into a rough embrace.
"It's been too long Eragon," Roran muttered, still in shock.
How goes you, Roran Stronghammer? said Saphira.
"Well enough, Bjartskular."
"I will explain everything it all in due time. May I come in?"
"Of course, of course, when did you arrive? I see you've met Ismira."
Ismira grinned at the pair. For her age, she was extremely perceptive and was happy that her father was reunited. She took Eragon's hand in one of her small hands, and Roran's in the other and lead them inside. Katrina was in the kitchen setting out plates for breakfast when she saw Eragon. Startled, she dropped the plate she was holding.
"Thrifa." Eragon said just before the plate crashed. He raised it onto the table as Ismira gazed in awe. Katrina embraced Eragon in a warm embrace. Eragon reciprocated in kind, grateful to see them. In the main hall, Saphira let loose a low rumble as she let loose a jet of blue flame into the fireplace, igniting a warm glow in the room.

Katrina offered to take his travelling cloak as Eragon , Roran and Ismira sat at the dining table. Saphira's head poked into the entrance as she crouched on the floor.
"Where to begin?" Eragon said.
"Indeed. Start from when you left Alagaesia.
"As you wish, brother," Eragon said calmly, taking a sip of hot mead.
"When Saphira and I left Alagaesia, we were still vastly inexperienced."
Speak for yourself little one. Eragon smiled.
"The first two years were spent repairing the damage caused to Vroengard. We had to ensure that it was sustainable for life, and that it would be a prosperous ground to train the new riders. We set upon exploring the island and making it ours. Along with the help of the Eldunari, we eradicated the beasts of the poisoned land, allowing life to once again live. We sang trees into fruition, grass into growth and cleansed the air of the impurity of a thousand years of magic. Then we waited. It was lonely at first. Saphira and I questioned many times whether we should return to Alagaesia and resume our life. It came to a point where we were ready to leave isolation and return, when the first of the new age of riders arrived. They were brought to us by boat by the elves of Ellesmera."
Eragon saw Roran's change in posture, as he knew the question within his mind. Still, Roran held his tongue and listened intently, allowing Katrina to grip his hand. Ismera lay her head down in the hollow at the base of Saphira's neck as the dragon gazed at her adoringly.

"There were only three, a human named Samuel from the city of Aroughs..." Eragon gazed at Katrina, then at Roran as they silently reminisced of when Roran stormed the city with only 800 men, a day which bards all over Alagaesia still sing of.
"...an Urgal from the Bolvek tribe named Yazhgra and an elf from Ellesmera by the name of Laetri. In addition, the three dragons were Agravel, Jura and Faedir.
We began training them, I, with the riders and Saphira with the dragons.
Though they were still hatchlings, these dragons were capable of glorious feats from a young age. Whilst Eragon undertook the teachings of the Riders, I taught the dragons what it means to be a dragon, Saphira said proudly.
"You've done well, Mother of Dragons," said Katrina. Saphira seem to relish the title as she released a low hum that shook the room.

"Slowly but surely, more Riders arrived. We taught them how to fight, think, use magic, but more importantly, how to harness their powers. They were eager to learn, and soon, we became engrossed in the work that would shape the world for generations to come. After the third year we had fifteen Riders, and after the fourth, we had thirty... Roran, I must apologize. I should have contacted you earlier, however the workload is increasingly growing and Saphira and I have a duty to this realm." Roran, startled, dismissed Eragon with a wave of his hand.
"You've done more for this realm than anyone could've." Eragon smiled.
"The past three years have been the most challenging. As you can imagine, each of the Rider students deigned to make an impression on Saphira and myself, causing a couple spats here and there. Nonetheless, we managed to enlighten them, and show them that in life, learning never stops."
"How could you manage all of this by yourselves?" inquired Katrina.
The Eldunari have helped us a great deal, Katrina Roranswife. They guide the pupils with their wisdom and reprimand them if need be.
Eragon continued, "Finally, when we the initial three dragon Riders had finished their training, we gave them some responsibility in taking charge of lessons. They are the reason we could make this journey home.
"How long will you stay?" asked Ismira, as she rubbed Saphira's neck.
"For awhile, child, if that is to your parent's liking..." Eragon eyed Katrina and Roran.

"Don't be foolish. This house is as much yours as it is ours," Katrina said. Eragon noticed both Roran and Katrina wore the enchanted rings he gave them so long ago. The thought comforted Eragon as he was sure that they had been thinking about him, as he had them. "Excellent. Did you tell anyone of my arrival? I had hoped to keep it..-""Eragon!" "Shadeslayer!" "Saphira!" Voices began to reverberate around the village as the villagers traced the root of the giant claw prints. Soon hundreds of the villagers stood outside Roran's hall and beckoned Eragon. Eragon stood up and exchanged greetings with familiar faces of old, Horst, Elain, Birgit, Albreich and Baldor, and began acquainting himself with unfamiliar faces.