Chapter 35- Warmth

The sun fell, and with it came the dark night. The cave was dimly lit with Firen's flames as the two dragons and the Queen watched a motionless body, save, the minute rise and fall of his chest from his breathing.

Firen, Saphira, it's getting late and the castle will need a patrol. The nights have gotten colder, and the birds and animals have begin to talk. They sense it too. They sense its coming.

If you think for a moment that I will leave Eragon's side-

I understand, I do. You're worried just as much as I am. But the castle needs a watch. It won't be good for the morale of the people if none of us are in sight.

Silence.

If his condition changes, even at all-

You'll be the first to know, Bjartskular.

Saphira eyed Arya. Neither broke their gaze. Firen readied himself at the mouth of the cave. The lightest streams of moonlight illuminated the hollow cave. Saphira turned, and with two gusts of wind, they were off into the sky. Arya watched the two dragons disappear into the dark sky. The fire glowed brighter.

Hours passed. Minutes, seconds. She didn't know. It was a facade put up for Saphira, Arya wondered how she managed to keep her composure. The moment the illusion ended, she had wanted to kill Ava. And she could have. So easily. Or so she thought. This girl, her power is infinite. Her energy pools are deeper than she realises. She needs to be leashed.

Arya watched Eragon while he lay on the bed. She sat at his feet. His features were so peaceful, as if, he were just in a deep sleep. His features, she swore, turned more elvish by the day. How had they gotten here? From the time of the Shade, Durza, to their countless battles, missions and adventures. She could even remember loathing his inferior ability and immaturity. That seemed like an age ago.

Her eyelids began to close. She struggled to fight the undefeatable enemy, sleep. Clouds began to form, and with it, a midnight thunderstorm. Warding the entry of the cave with a few protection and alertion wards, Arya felt comfortable enough to retire...on the floor, she supposed. The bed was big enough for one, two might be a squeeze. She had gotten comfortable having a warm body beside her, so tonight would be a little different.

Before she could lay her pillow by the bedside, a hand grabbed her own. Eyes half opened, Eragon looked at her dead into her soul before shutting again. Arya understood. With a brush of her hand, the fire extinguished. It appeared as though she would have a warm body tonight.