Chapter 28- Gone

Nari, Katyr and Arya dined in her chambers until late into the night. It had been long since Arya could be in the unrestricted company of her own. They spoke of a variety of topics, ranging from the intricacies of politics, to the art of developing stronger bonds between Rider and Dragon. Arya laid to rest their queries concerning the growth of their dragons, saying that all dragons will reach their maximum at some stage, and it is best to allow the process to occur naturally.
"Arya-elda, may I ask a personal question?" The question came from Nari Arya pondered the request.
"I am guessing you are asking of the nature of my relationship with Eragon-elda."
Katyr suppressed a mischievous smile.

"Yes. I am curious, as you are after all Queen of the elves and my kin."
"Before I tell you, I too am curious. Would you approve?"
"It is not my position to speak of such matters."
"That does not answer my question." Nari paused.

"Please understand that I am merely speaking as an observer. I personally have no quarms with it. However, the same may not be said for others. Assuming we do stave off the threat of these... Masters. Assuming Eragon chooses to uproot from Vroengard, and finally allow for the long awaited return of the Riders. That seems like a foregone conclusion as I doubt many of us will be keen to return into isolation. I don't believe that those in power here would be supportive of the two strongest in Alagaesia joining forces. Yes, Riders will stand together regardless of circumstance, but it is no secret the extent of yours or Eragon-elda's strength. Should you wish to, this land could fall into an eternal dark reign under your command. And that is why I am concerned."
"You are wise beyond your years Nari. Eragon and my relationship is somewhat complicated by the fact that I am give or take 86 years his senior. We are the closest of friends. After Saphira and perhaps Roran, I may be his third most trusted. It is no secret that should the opportunity arrive, I am sure he would take a dagger for me, just as I would for him. The bond we share is deeper than most would hope to forge in many life times, yet we are still acclimatising to the other's presence. This much I'll say, where he goes, I will probably follow."

The room had taken a deathly silence. Nari and Katyr listened intensely, soaking in every word. It was not uncommon for Elves to take partners, though, it was widespread knowledge that elvish children were a rarity.

"If that is all you wish to ask, I would retire tonight." Nari and Katyr rose, bowed, and departed the room immediately. Arya walked onto her balcony. The city shone dim lights-taverns- like stars embedded in the ground. Dark clouds formed above. A storm would fall tonight. Far into the surrounding mountains, Firen, Saphira, Juno and Percival fought and hunted and drank their fill. The stone banister was sturdy. Arya stood upon it, walking briskly, right, until she had reached the edge of her compound. In a fell leap, she landed softly onto Eragon's balcony. The door to his chambers was already open. He sat with his back facing the open air, book and glass in hand on the long couch. Another glass and another book lay meticulously placed on his right. Wordlessly Arya sat, drank and read.

A flurry of knocks on his door disrupted the tranquil state Eragon and Arya were in. Opening it, he spotted Nasuada. Eyes red, blotchy face.

"Eragon, it's Murtagh..."

"What of him? Is he alright?"

"He's... he's... gone."