Chapter 26- Ava

The dragonhold was far from comfortable. It had been brusquely shored up to house 65 dragonRiders. Ava sat in her quarters. As she was not a fully-fledged dragonRider, she still shared her room with a companion. Two to be exact. Her roommates were two elves from Ellesmera, kin to Arya. The three of them were reserved, and for that, Ava was grateful. It wasn't a cold silence that presided over their room. Ava knew that as they were part of the dragonRider race, each would protect the other, unreservedly. However, Ava appreciated the privacy. The room was built in a triangular shape. At each length of the triangle, there was a bed and storage compartment for the dragonRider's possessions. Trainee Riders were not granted an official sword, however, Ava possessed a vast array of daggers that could be drawn at any given time. She lay a leather pouch on her bed, uncasing the metal clasp. As the pouch unrolled onto her bed, there lay an assortment of knives and blades. The first elf, Nari eyed the pouch carefully. Personally, she preferred a bow and arrow. Nothing gave her more pleasure than picking off her prey one at a time from a distance. The second elf, Katyr, had seen Ava check her blades countless times, and therefore, was indifferent to the act. Ava would not inspect her blades for anything in particular, rather, the repetitive motion of observing each curve in each sheet of metal, and the bronze or wooden handle that accompanied each blade was soothing. Ava's ears picked up footsteps approaching the concealed dragonhold. She clasped back her blades and stored them into her compartment. Grabbing her grey cloak, she exited the room.
"Eragon-elda is here. So is Queen Arya. You would do well to prepare yourselves. They are coming specifically to see us."

Years ago, Nari and Katyr would've been baffled by Ava's bold claims. Amongst the Riders, Eragon and Arya had been folklore and legends reincarnated into living, breathing flesh. They were idolised by every Rider- even the Urgals who only respect strength. However, after being the only beings whom Ava didn't mind being in close proximity with, they took her at her word and prepared themselves.

The main hall where many of the Riders and dragons communed was full with laughter and noise. Many Riders were embracing the open air of Ilirea, and the dragons roamed through the hall and surrounding forest. They were careful not to venture too close to the city. The protective enchantments that Eragon had placed over the hold when they had arrived was designed to repel any citizens from discovering the Riders. Many had been keen to meet the citizens and bask in the reverence designated to a Rider, however, Eragon had made it clear that their time would come. A hush fell over the hall as footsteps approached the entrance. Dragons scuffled into an orderly fashion, whilst all 65 Riders stood in rows along the long dinner tables. The talking had died down to almost a non-existent hum. Ava, Nari and Katyr took their place on the far left of the hall. Next to them, Robb and Ned stood. For all their banter and goodwill, they too respected Eragon.

Arya and Eragon held hands up until they were within eye-shot of the entrance. Smoothing his cloak and pulling back his cowl, he approached each step with anticipation and excitement.
"Well, it's good to see you're all well-behaved. I've been ranting to Queen Arya the entire walk here about how the new age of Riders were the epitome of politeness, honour and respect."
Eragon coughed something that sounded like "Ned and Robb", as the hall burst into a roar of laughter. Arya was taken aback by such a raw display of emotion, even by her own kin. Though she had met the Riders and the dragons in Ellesmera and on their journey back to Ilirea, she had chosen to observe their habits for the time being.
"I am glad to see you have settled into Ilirea. I'm sure you've heard the stories of how this was once a place of torment and pain. You would do well to remember that, when you enter the city."
Arya noticed the once still frames of the Riders began to shutter and shift with excitement.
"Eragon-elda, do we have your permission to enter the city gates?" Nedd yelled.
Eragon raised his hand, and at once, the roof of the dragonhold retracted, opening an exit wide enough to allow three dragonRiders at a time to exit.
"Go."
At once and in unison, the Riders straddled their dragons and with a gust, propelled themselves out of the dragon hold and approached the city of Ilirea. Tables had overturned, and chairs had been wrecked in the havoc of the flutter of wings. All that remained were three dragons, and their respective Riders. Ava, Nari and Katyr, and their dragons.