Chapter 23- Murtagh

The journey to Nia was short. Murtagh and Thorn had made many trips there during their sabbatical from the rest of the known world. Nia was a lush forest-land, filled with an aroma of fresh grass and mountain dew. It housed a variety of species of water insects in its various ponds, but was mainly inhabited by what Murtagh calls the 'Rolling Hills'. The landscape was strewn with cascading black mountains, which seemed to go around the circumference of the wild island. Thorn flew to a cave embedded in one of these mountains. The cave was familiar. It had all of Murtagh's worldly possessions, in a box. An ageing bed-frame with a deteriorating mattress was tucked in the corner of the cave, with a desk, chair and wardrobe taking up the remainder of the small space. Murtagh set his travel pack against the base of his bed, lit a candle and sat at his chair. Thorn curled around Murtagh's set-up and shut his eyes. Murtagh began to write. Over time, he learnt to control his bloodlust by forcing his mind into a solemn state of meditation in the form of written word. He always wrote in the ancient language. Forcing his energy into his palms, he produced scripture after scripture of the essence of the land and all its inhabitants. He had been working on a piece of scripture, one that would allow him to view any portion of Alagaesia. These spells required immense concentration and an exorberant expenditure of energy. However, the results were fruitful. Murtagh could see Dras-Leona and it's inhabitants. The city was fast approaching dusk, and the citizens were scurrying to their shelter. A curfew had been implemented as a precautionary measure in light of recent events.

Attacks had sporadically been carried out on the smaller towns of Alamein and Bullridge. Casualties were mounting daily with disappearances being reported in increasing numbers. Roads linking one town to another were avoided for fear of bandits or the Masters. It was Murtagh's intention to see where these attacks spawned from. So far, his search had been in vain. Coastal areas showed no signs of an invasion, nor did the skies overlooking the sieged towns. With his energy waning, Thorn poured some of his immense strength in order for the mirage to continue. Murtagh brought his vision south. To the land of Surda. For the most part, the land seemed in tact, however, he felt a strong disturbance weighing over the air. Beads of sweat dotted his forehead, drenching his hair. His vision began to blur, he knew time was limited. It would be awhile before he would be able to expand such amounts of energy again. Scurrying his eyes over Surda's towns, he finally halted in front of the main city. A tall figure in elaborate robes stood in a chamber room. King Orrin. Another figure stood in the throne room as well. A dark figure, cloaked in swirling shadows and a hooded face.
"Nasuada is expecting a force to convene. I will have to dispatch one to appease her majesty." Orrin's voice dripped with sarcasm.
"It matters not. The next 6 months will prove pivotal in cementing the thousand year reign."

"And what of the dragon riders? We know not of their numbers, nor do we know anything of their skill. They are a formidable foe."
"We will match the might of my race with that of the dragonRiders. Then you will have no reason to have your doubts."
"Very well. The portal will open on the blood moon, make sure your army is ready by then."
"Agreed."
The cloaked figure turned to leave. Suddenly, he drew a knife from within his garments and slashed the air causing the room to shimmer. He looked straight at where Murtagh stood.
"We are being watched Orrin." Murtagh's vision went dark.