Chapter 6

It was Phil's turn to pick up their food today. He sat in a booth as he waited for their pizzas. The woman working at the counter had said ten minutes, but it felt like twenty had gone by.
The bell above the door chimed as someone in a black hoodie stepped into the building. Phil glanced at him and turned back to his phone.
The next time he looked up was to see why the hooded guy was sitting across from him. He watched as he reached up and took off his hood, revealing his face to Phil.
"Ashton?"
"Phil, I need you to listen to me," Ashton began, the urgency in his voice clear as day. Phil nodded to let him know he was listening.
"The thing I told Dan about, it will happen. There are League members who want more power, and they're planning to take over. Phil, they will kill anyone that gets in their way. Don't let them tempt you into joining their side. Dan's father..."
"Dan's dad?" Phil questioned.
Ashton nodded. "He's a part of it. He wants to be in charge. You have to protect yourselves, keep away from them."
"How do you know all this?" Phil asked.
"My mates and I, we disappeared with the help of a resistance group that fights the League. What they do is wrong, everyone knows it, but only a few choose to fight it. We joined the resistance, and I know there's good in you, Phil. I know you know I'm telling the truth."
Phil looked away from Ashton's face, because he believed every word he said. Ever since he fired a gun for the first time when he was eleven he had wanted to escape the League. He had wanted to run so far away that no one, not even Dan, could find him. He had a chance, he could get away from the killing and cruelty. It could be like the holiday he and Dan always planned on taking, just permanent instead of temporary.
"I want to join," Phil said, looking Ashton in the eyes. "I want to be a part of the resistance."
Ashton smiled. "That can be arranged."
-
Phil returned home with the food, reluctant to even go inside. Dan was a hard person to keep secrets from. Sneaking away to resistance meetings would mean Phil would have to lie to him a lot, and lying was not something Phil enjoyed or was particularly good at.
He set the boxes on the table, avoiding Dan's gaze and leaving the room quickly to put away his coat and shoes. He came back and sat down beside his boyfriend, opening up his pizza. He hadn't realized how hungry he was
"You okay?" Dan asked him.
"I'm hungry," Phil chuckled in response. "They said ten minutes, but it was like twenty."
"Yeah, you were gone a pretty long time," Dan agreed.
Phil sighed a silent sigh of relief, taking a bite of his first slice.
-
Later that night Dan found himself tossing and turning, unable to fall asleep. Phil snoozed peacefully beside him, his pale face relaxed and his breathing even. Dan watched as his chest rose and fell. He was so beautiful.
As quietly as he could manage, Dan stood up, cringing at the creaking of the bed. He didn't want to wake up Phil.
Dan tiptoed out of their bedroom, grabbing a sweatshirt and pulling it on as he made his way down the steps and out into the night. From the front door he turned left, entering the narrow alley between his building and the next. He climbed the ladder that resided there to the roof. Dan sat down on the gray tiles, gazing up at the stars that were visible, which wasn't much considering the amount of light pollution London contributed.
"Nice night, isn't it?" A deadly familiar voice said. Dan's face twisted in anger as he stood and turned to face the person who was behind him.
"What are you doing here?" Dan spat, his fists curling into balls at his sides.
"I came with a proposal," the mostly bald man replied calmly. "I don't think you're interested, though."
"I actually am quite intrigued. You're not one to ask people. You usually just manipulate them to do what you want."
"That's very true, son, very true. I would use that method on you, but I'm afraid I taught you too well to be persuaded easily. Your boyfriend however..."
"If you go anywhere near Phil I will cut you open like the animal you are," Dan angrily shouted.
"No need for threats, Daniel. I simply want to make a deal," his father said.
"Go on, then. What is it?"
"Someone has been snooping around and telling people about things going on inside the League. I believe he even tried to tell you. Just tell me who told you about corrupt doings in the League and I won't have my sniper across the street shoot your boyfriend."
This wasn't even a hard choice to make. Phil was everything to Dan, and one name would keep him around. Ashton Irwin was nothing to Dan, just a mere player in the game.
"Ashton Irwin," Dan said, looking straight into his father's cold eyes.
"Thank you, Daniel," he said, walking toward the ladder. "I'll be in touch."
And with that he disappeared from Dan's sight.