Chapter 32

Dan and Phil left their apartment an hour before they had to be at the Hideout. It gave them time to meander around the city, which Dan wasn't sure was the best idea with the cops on their trail. When they got there, some people gave them strange looks. Everyone that was still in the League was there, even the trainees Dan had started training weeks ago. By the level system the League had, there were eight people who could take the position of Leader. The level system gave a number to members. Everyone started at 1, and after certain number goals were reached they would level up to a 2 and so on. Dan Howell, Phil Lester, Katie Simmons, Joe Sugg, Tyler Oakley, Alfie Deyes, Zoe Sugg, and Marcus Butler were the only remaining 11s. Dan's father had been a 15, but he had never been voted Leader by his fellow 15s. It didn't matter anymore, though, because anyone above 11 in London had been killed.
The 11s stood around the table in the Leader's office. They all looked worn out, and tired. They had all lost friends and family on that day.
"Let's get started," Katie said, taking the wheel of the operation. "We need to appoint a Leader, and we are the only candidates. I say we chose two people we think are qualified for the position and then take a vote. However, in order to avoid a tie I have brought in the highest 10 in the League to make our numbers uneven."
A girl who had been standing in the corner of the room came forward. Katie held out her hand as if presenting her to the group. "This is Emma Blackery, a 10, but almost an 11."
Everyone nodded and Tyler began to speak. "I know who I want to nominate," he said. When no one said anything he continued. "I think Dan should be the Leader."
"Yeah, but his dad is the reason we have to pick a new Leader!" Marcus argued.
"I agree," Katie offered. "Out of all of us I think he's the most skilled one here. I'm pretty sure he's close to a 12."
'Imagine what we could do with control over this place.'
"I don't think I'd make a good Leader," Dan told them.
'Don't lie. Think about the power and what we could do.'
"Are you kidding me?" Joe laughed. "You have led me on two recent missions, and I say you're more than qualified."
"So Dan is our first nominee, how about a second?" Katie led.
"You," Phil said. Katie looked surprised.
"Me? I don't know..."
"You are a great leader as well," Phil explained. "Plus, you are just as skilled as Dan."
"Probably even better," Dan added.
"Alright, fine, we have our nominees. Me or Dan. All those in favor of me running the Hideout raise your hand."
Four hands were raised, Dan's, the Suggs', and Marcus's. 'We've already won, Daniel.'
"All those in favor of Dan running the place, raise your hand."
Five hands went up. Phil's, Tyler's, Alfie's, Emma's, and Katie's.
"Then it's been decided," Katie said, with a grin on her face despite having lost a position of high power. "Dan Howell is our new Leader."
The group began to walk to the balcony, but Dan was protesting. He couldn't have it, he couldn't be it, not with the voices in his head.
"Katie!" Dan called. "Wait!"
She turned before leaving the office, facing him and arching her eyebrows in curiosity.
"You have to take it," Dan pleaded. "I can't have it."
"Dan, don't worry, you'll do great," Katie encouraged.
"No! It's not that I just..." he trailed off. What could he say? "Please keep me in check. If I do anything wrong or if I fuck up..."
"You won't," Katie said in a serious voice.
"I might," Dan replied. "Please, I... I can't explain it to you, but I..."
"Okay," Katie sighed, placing her hand on his shoulder. "I promise I'll watch you."
"Thank you," Dan said with a sigh of relief.
'This will be fun!'
The two went to the balcony and looked down below at the people gathered to hear the news. Dan swallowed the lump in his throat and jumped when he felt someone touch him. He saw it was Phil and relaxed, their fingers intertwining at their sides.
"Why did you vote for me?" Dan whispered. "You put Katie as a nominee, you should have voted for her."
"Because I know you can do it," Phil responded. "Besides, you made me a promise, remember? We're going to change the League."
'What changes need to be made? It's perfect the way it is.'
"Attention!" Katie shouted, loud enough to not need the bullhorn beside her. "Your new Leader has been voted upon to be... Daniel James Howell."
The crowd exploded with gasps and muffled voices. Some didn't look pleased, and stared up at him in scorn.
'Oh ho! This will be a lot of fun!'