Chapter 30

They were placed in separate rooms, much to Dan's dislike. They had taken his fingerprints as well, making him even more suspicious about what was going on here. They had no lawyer, and they had every reason to be sitting in interrogation rooms. They murdered people, but of course they couldn't say that. Dan found himself tapping his finger on the table. There was a security camera in the corner, and he wasn't naïve enough to trick into believing the mirror was just a mirror. It obviously was a one way window that only those on the other side could see into. There could be someone watching him right now.
The door opened and in walked the shorter detective that had picked them up. He stood on the other side of the table, almost making Dan laugh. It was obvious he stood to make himself seem taller.
"You're Daniel James Howell, correct?" the detective asked him.
"Yes," Dan replied.
'But you'd already know that, wouldn't you? I'm sure you've done plenty of digging.'
"I'm Detective Levi Ackerman. I'm going to ask you some questions, if you don't mind," the detective said.
"Go ahead."
'Hit me with your best shot, shorty.'
"Where were you the night of the eleventh? As in, two days ago?"
"At home, with my boyfriend."
'I actually proposed, but you know, unimportant details.'
"Are you sure? Because we found a knife near a dead body with your boyfriend's blood on it."
"I don't know how that's possible," Dan replied, keeping a passive face.
'That was my bastard father's doing. He didn't even have the decency to clean up his own mess? Fucking me from beyond the grave, I see.'
"We also ran your fingerprints against ones we found on the same knife, and they were a match. Care to explain?"
"I don't know how that's possible," Dan repeated.
"How did you hurt your arm?" Detective Ackerman asked, looking at the cast on Dan's arm.
"Fell down the stairs, I'm very clumsy."
"How come there are no records of you checking into a hospital?"
"Because I didn't go to one. I hate hospitals. I had a friend who went to medical school check it out for me."
"And this friend happened to have a cast lying around?"
"She buys lots of medical supplies for her private business."
"You seem to have answers to everything," the detective said to him.
"Is that a problem? I thought you wanted answers."
'Piss him off. Show him who's boss.'
----
Phil was nervously tapping his foot on the tiled floor. He looked up from his lap when he heard the door swinging open.
"Philip Lester?" the tall detective said. Phil nodded. "I'm Detective Eren Jaeger. I'm just going to ask you some questions relating to a case my partner and I are currently working on."
"Yeah, of course," Phil said.
"Where were you two nights ago? On the eleventh?"
"With my boyfriend, at home."
"We found a knife with your blood on it. Ring any bells?"
"A knife? I don't know why you'd find my blood on a knife."
"We also found your boyfriend's fingerprints on the same knife."
"What? That's insane!"
"So you have no idea what I am talking about?"
"No! I have no idea why you found my blood there."
"Do you know any criminal organizations?" Detective Jaeger suddenly asked.
"Criminal organizations?"
"Yes; maybe one came after you, or maybe you are involved in one?"
"Of course not! I didn't really think those were real! A-are they?" Phil was proud of himself. He seemed to be playing a convincing part. He just hoped Dan gave similar answers.
"Not everyone thinks so, but personally I think they are real," the detective answered. "I think that's all I need. However, I can't let you go until we find the connection between you and that knife."
"I understand," Phil nodded.
"Can I get you anything, coffee or a snack?"
"No, thank you, though."
With that, the detective left, leaving Phil alone again in the quiet room, the only sound that of his tapping foot.