Chapter 40

[woah chapter 40 i can't believe it]

The remaining Elevens and some lower level people that Katie rounded up and deemed trustworthy were packed into Joe's apartment. Phil stood at the center of the room with his fellow Elevens, feeling a bit intimidated by all the eyes that were on him. Katie nudged him with her elbow and he cleared his throat.

"Can I have your attention please?" Phil asked, loud enough for almost the whole room to hear, but the chatter didn't quiet down.
"Yo shut it!" Katie yelled, everyone instantly growing quiet.
"Thanks," Phil mumbled. "Thank you all for coming, I know it was on short notice and it might seem a bit weird. However, there's something going on within the League that needs to be stopped, and that thing is my fiancé. I hate to admit it, but something needs to be done about what he's doing." Phil stopped for a moment to look around. "What I'm proposing is a change so drastic, I almost can't picture it ever being reality, but I believe it's an ideal that requires more than just me and a daydream. I want to reform the League, to make it different. I'm tired of the killing and the violence, and I think we can use our talents for something that isn't crime.
"I know that this may seem impossible to some of you, because killing and violence is all that we've been taught. The League has implanted in us this idea that crime is what we live for, but it doesn't have to be. At one point in my life, I accepted that I would never be a good guy. I accepted that my boyfriend was a murderer who got off on torturing people. I accepted that I lived in a world where I had to face my biggest fears every single day just to make a living. But I don't accept it anymore. I know that some of you may not know how to live a life different from the one you've been living, and I understand that completely. So if you want to leave, you can do so. I won't pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do."
Phil looked around the room. No one budged.
"We're all with you, Phil," Katie said beside him.
"Okay," Phil nodded. "Then I guess I'll share with you my plan. It's only a start, but I think it's a good one. I'm going to get the police to help us."
"The police?" someone in the crowd repeated.
"You mean the ones Howell attacked?" someone else asked.
"Yes," Phil answered. "I know it sounds crazy, but I believe I can get them to compromise with us. Plus, I think I know the exact detective to contact."
"We should have a name," Zoë added from behind Phil. "Like a team name."
"How about the Rogues?" Katie suggested.
"I like it," Phil smiled. "We're the Rogues."
The room erupted in cheers and chatter again, but suddenly a thought came to Phil's mind. "One more thing!" he shouted, the room growing quiet at his demand. "Don't kill Dan, please. I know he's done bad things, but it's not his fault. I can help him, I just need to get him somewhere he can't hurt anyone else. I love him, and I know I can help him."
"If you meet him, try to immobilize him," Katie added. "Knock him out or tie him up and get him to us."
The room grew loud once again, and Phil let out a sigh of relief.
"That was one hell of a speech," Katie said to him, folding her arms casually across her chest.
"I was just speaking my mind," Phil shrugged.
"Well it got me hyped," Alfie said from where he stood beside Zoë.
"Yeah, we've got your back, mate," Joe confirmed, making Phil smile and his heart swell with love for his friends.