Chapter 48

It felt like deja vu, sitting in the woods waiting to storm on the Hideout. Phil was leaning against a tree, trying to calm his nerves. He hadn't gone in with the resistance because of his injury, but now he had to go in, he was the leader of the Rogues. He could remember everything about his first mission, and how every time he heard a gunshot after it he was sent back to that hell. But Dan had always been there to protect him, and to hold him tight when he'd wake up in the middle of the night screaming. But now Phil was the one who had to save Dan.
In his pocket was a brochure that Katie had given him earlier that day. It was for an island where a guy she had connections with was starting a new program for mental patients. She told him that he could take Dan there, and get him help, but he was unsure. Would a mental hospital really be able to get the real Dan back? Or was there something bigger than that needed?
Phil started walking around, passing his people and the police. One person caught his attention, the short man leaning against the back of a truck. In his fingers was something shiny, that he twirled around in his hand. Phil walked up to him quietly, the detective not noticing him until he spoke. "For Eren?"
"Oh, yeah, when this is all over," Levi said.
"He'll love it," Phil nodded, Levi doing the same. "I should get going, see you around."
"Hey, Lester, wait," Levi called. Phil turned around and looked at him. "You know, you're really not that bad a guy," Levi told him.
"Thanks, and neither are you," Phil answered.
----
Katie took a small sip from a tiny bottle of liquor she had hidden in her coat and then took out her sword. She hadn't used it in forever, but as she moved it around the motion felt familiar. She heard footsteps behind her and sheathed the sword, turning to see who it was. Agent Norwood stood there, in a bulletproof vest and still a suit. Katie had never been able to figure out why they always wore suits.
"Your name is Katie Simmons, right?" Norwood asked her.
"Yep, don't wear it out," she replied, crossing her arms over her chest.
"You are very skilled, Ms. Simmons," Norwood said. "I don't think I've ever seen someone as good at your craft."
"Thank you," Katie nodded. "I should go get into position."
"The FBI could use someone like you," Norwood called as she walked away. Katie turned to face him again.
"No thanks," she rejected. "I like where I am."
----
"Dan!" Alexander shouted, running quickly up the stairs. Dan had been let out of the infirmary the day before, but he was supposed to try and eat and sleep more. "We have reports of forces gathering in the woods."
"We'll just have to shoot them down when they come at us," Dan responded, shrugging on his coat and loading up his gun.
"I also have a question for you," Alexander said. Dan looked at him in response. "If Phil dies, can we be together?"
"Why the fuck would you ask such a question?" Dan retorted, heading for the door of the office.
"Because you're everything I want!" Alexander replied, following Dan. "You're powerful, lustful, and not to mention hot as hell. Together we could take over the world."
'Take over the world? Sounds like a good deal.'
"I told you already, I don't like in you that way," Dan argued.
'But- but power!'
"Come on! We could have it all!" Alexander objected.
"No! I-"
'Oh for crying out loud love the damn boy! He can give us everything we want!'
Dan tried not to move, to remain rigid, but his body moved on its own. He reached out his hands and cupped them around Alexander's face, pulling him into an unexpected kiss. Alexander kissed back, but in the back of Dan's mind he was screaming at himself. But he couldn't pull away, for some reason his body was glued in place.