Chapter 14

Katie started watching the news when she got Phil's text. Ashton Irwin had died, and she wasn't sure how to feel. He was an old friend from an old time, and she had already regarded him as dead.
The hotel room was quiet, which was music to Katie's ears. Her "boyfriend" was out, which left her alone in the room. She couldn't believe her parents forced her to be around and share a bed with that asshole. Maybe Sam had the right idea...
She shook her head to get rid of that thought. The resistance killed their brother, James, and that was unforgivable. The League did nothing but murder, sure, but she could never join the side that took away her brother. Sam was delusional and insane to think that the resistance would be the right choice.
At the same time, Katie didn't blame her sister for running away. Her parents were assassins, and assassin families had strict rules. Arranged marriages, alliances, and many kids were all parts of the deal. Being gay was frowned upon.
The two had been best friends, Sam and Katie, but they were torn apart when they chose different sides. Sam told Katie she was gay first, and then James, then Clarissa, and then their parents.
"Sam, what's wrong?" Katie asked, placing her hand on her sister's shoulder. Sam looked up at her with teary eyes. Katie hadn't seen her older sister cry since they were young.
"I knew they'd be mad!" Sam cried. "I fucking knew they wouldn't accept it, but I told them anyway. I'm so fucking stupid."
"No you're not," Katie soothed. "And stop using the f-word so much! I told you to tell them, so it's my fault."
"No, nothing is your fault, Kate. You've been so incredible throughout this whole thing, I just wish Mom and Dad were like you."
It almost made Katie smile, remembering the good days. The door opened and Alexander walked in. He stumbled a bit over his own feet before plopping down on the bed beside her. She rolled her eyes and stood up, his hand flying up to catch the back of her shirt.
"Where're ya goin' babe?" He slurred, a smirk forming on his lips.
"Over there," Katie replied.
"Stay here," Alexander said, clenching his fist so he was holding onto her tighter.
"No."
"Yes, come on!"
"Go away."
"I can't this is my place!"
"Jesus Christ you asshole let go!" Katie shouted, twisting out of his grasp. He was drunk and she was an assassin, she knew there'd be no turnout where this ended badly for her.
Alexander moved again to grab her, but she hit his arm away. Angrily he tried again, but she grabbed his arm and twisted it under her armpit, careful to put it right before the point where it would break.
"You wanna try again, buddy?" Katie spat in his ear, throwing him to the floor. She grabbed her coat and a bag of clothes she kept packed at all times.
"Sober up you dick," Katie said before slamming the door shut behind her.
-
She walked for what felt like forever, not entirely sure where she was going. She had plenty of friends in London, despite having lived in the countryside her whole life. The Simmons owned a large mansion right on the outskirts of a small town. The kids were homeschooled, as it always was with assassins, but as she got older Katie found herself in town a lot. She'd sneak away after lessons and visit the little coffee shop on the corner, or help the little old lady who worked as a florist. It was a good life, the one she had lived there. Katie often found herself wanting to go back to those times, but she knew wishing was futile and stupid. She learned that lesson the hard way.
Katie had no idea where she was for a bit, but then she looked around and found she was near Caspar and Joe's place. She had been there only once since she'd been in the city, but any memory with Joe seemed to stay in her mind forever.
She meandered up to their door, droplets of water from the light drizzle glistening in her hair. She rang the doorbell and waited patiently for an answer. Someone came to the door, looked through the window and then unlocked it. When it swung open Joe stood there. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
"Katie, what're you doing here?"
"I, erm, had to leave my partner, he uh..."
"Don't say any more, come inside before you get drenched."
Katie stepped inside beside him, thanking him as he took her coat and bag. He led her into the kitchen, handing her a warm mug of hot chocolate.
"It's your favorite," Joe said. "I remember you telling me that."
"Wow, that was forever ago. I'm surprised you remember."
"I'm like an elephant, I don't forget anything."
Katie chuckled, placing her mug on the table.
"Are you sure you're okay?" Joe asked her. She shook her head.
"Of course I'm not, at least not entirely. I hate Alexander so much, but my parents..."
"Don't let them control your life, Katie," Joe interrupted, watching as Katie's gaze drifted upward to his face.
"I have too," Katie argued. "After losing James and Sam, I'm the oldest. It's my responsibility to be a good figure for the Simmons family."
"No it isn't," Joe said.
"Why do you even care?" Katie asked. "This isn't your problem, I don't want you getting involved."
"I was in a similar position as you," Joe said. "My family wanted me to marry a girl whose family was also in the League. That's when I met Caspar, and when they found out about my sexuality they practically disowned me. It's for the better though, I say."
"But you and Zoe seem fine," Katie questioned.
"It's because she's not like them. She still loves me, you know? Lucky for her mum and dad approved of Alfie so she got to keep them and her love."
"I'm sorry, Joe. I had no idea," Katie sighed.
"Don't let them control you," Joe said. "Be your own person Kathleen Simmons."
Katie smiled with a small laugh, something she felt she hadn't done in a while.