Chapter 35

Phil sat impatiently in the waiting room, tapping his foot on the carpeted floor. Dan was in with the doctor who had helped his father. Phil really wanted it to go well, for Dan's sake and their relationship's. He didn't want this get in the way of them and their future. He knew that was a selfish and rude thing to want, but he did. The door opened and Dan came walking out with the doctor, smiling a bit. Phil loved to see him smile, since it was such a rare thing.
"You must be Phil?" the doctor greeted as he shook Phil's hand.
"Yes, that would be me," Phil smiled.
"I'm Doctor King, but you already knew that," the doctor laughed. "As I explained to Dan there is nothing wrong with his health. It's very common for people even without mental illness to hear voices in their head. We'll put him on the same medication his father was on and see how it works. If things go bad with the medication we'll find something knew to help him out."
"Thank you so much, Doctor," Phil beamed.
On the walk home Dan was quiet, but content. He felt for once that maybe he really could have a happy life.
"What did you tell them about your dad?" Phil asked.
"Half the truth," Dan replied. "I said he died, but in another city where a lot of our family lives." Phil nodded. "Do you think I'll ever have to stop lying so much?" Dan asked.
"Hopefully," Phil answered, smiling at his boyfriend.
----
There was a knock at the door and Katie went to answer it. She was still living in a hotel room with Alexander, much to her disgust. She wanted to maybe find an apartment here in London, and stick around with her friends, but this time without Alexander. She stood to go answer it and found Joe on the other side of the door. "Joe? What are you doing here?" Katie asked him, leaning against the doorway.
"Are you doing anything?" Joe asked her.
"No, why?"
"You want to go catch a movie, or something? I don't feel like sitting at home feeling sorry for myself," Joe replied.
"Yeah, sure. Let me get my coat and shoes. You can come in and wait."
Joe entered and stayed standing by the door. Katie took her coat off the chair she had left it on and her shoes from the corner of the room. She sat on the bed tying her dirty converse up when Alexander came out from the bathroom.
"What do you think you're doing?" he asked her.
"Going out," Katie replied shortly.
"No you're not," Alexander said. "Especially not with him. I'm your boyfriend, remember?"
"Not anymore, you're not," Katie answered, standing up and facing the tall guy. "I'm breaking up with you."
"You can't do that!" Alexander called as she began to walk out. "Our families put us together! We can't break up without permission!"
"Well, I am," Katie told him. Alexander groaned and grabbed her wrist. Joe quickly reacted and shoved him back. He was much shorter than Alexander, but Katie knew he was stronger than he looked.
"Back off, shorty," Alexander threatened.
"No," Joe replied, standing in between Katie and him. "Don't you dare touch her ever again, you got that asshole?" Katie's heart swelled.
"I'm telling your parents," Alexander shouted.
"Great, send them a message for me," Katie answered, holding up two middle fingers at him. She could hear him protesting as she closed the door to the hotel room. She and Joe walked to the elevator in silence. As they waited Katie decided to speak.
"Thank you," she said to him. "You didn't have to do that, so I owe you one."
"Don't worry about it," Joe shrugged. "I'd do anything for someone I care about."
Someone I care about.