Chapter 13

The moment Phil entered the place the eerie silence hit him hard. Everyone seemed to just be sitting around instead of the usual liveliness that filled the resistance base. Phil had no idea where to go, since he usually followed Ashton around. He wasn't too friendly with the other three Australians yet, and he wasn't sure if it was a good time to approach them anyway. They had just lost their best friend after all, Luke's boyfriend too.
Phil took a seat at a random table, glancing around before taking his phone out. He had no one to talk to or just to sit with, and he wasn't sure why he had come here in the first place. He looked up as someone sat across from him, taking a bite out of an apple.
"Hey Lester," she said, still chewing a bit of her food.
"Y-yeah?" Phil answered, not knowing what this was about. It was Sam who had sat down, the girl who Anne had described as practically a genius.
"There's a girl in the League, her name is Kathleen Simmons. When you were a teen you were friends with her, do you remember her?"
"Of course, I'm still friends with her today."
"Really? Um, how is she?"
"She seems good. I think she's in a set up relationship though, which knowing her isn't something she'd be happy about at all."
"Yeah, she never did like being controlled," Sam replied, a smile forming on her lips. "Thanks, Lester, I'll see ya around."
"Hey Sam, can I ask you something?"
She turned around to face Phil again, nodding her head.
"Why did you ask about Katie?"
Sam sat down, and she spoke quieter than she did before.
"Katie is my sister, but you can't tell anyone! Not even my girlfriend knows I'm related to anyone in the League!" Sam rushed.
"Katie has another sister? I thought only Clarissa and James were her siblings..."
"My parents wouldn't talk about me much. I'm a disgrace in their eyes, and in more ways than one."
"I'm sorry," Phil replied.
"Thanks, but I don't know if you really understand."
"Trust me, I do. I lost my parents when I was young. They died, and I mean yours are still alive, but you lost them."
"Your parents died when you were young? I'm so sorry I had no idea..." Sam started.
"It's fine, really. That's how I met Dan. His parents took me in because I had no one else. How did you meet Nia?"
"We met at a record shop," Sam began.
-
Phil hadn't checked the time since he had begun talking to Sam, and when he did he saw he had been here for over an hour. Sam glanced around the room, seeing that many people had left.
"I should probably get going," Sam said, turning to stand up from her seat.
"Me too, it was nice talking to you," Phil grinned, happy to have made a friend.
"Same here," Sam replied, smiling too. Phil watched her walk away to the elevator. He wanted so bad to go home and talk about his new friend with Dan, but he couldn't. He had no lie as to where he was when Dan was at the Hideout and he stayed home. Not even Tyler knew of this.
It killed him to not be able to share everything with Dan like he always did, but he had to remind himself that it was for the best. There's no way to know what Dan would do if he found out. Phil figured he'd probably sell them out to the League...
There was only one person left at the base, and he was sitting by himself across the room. Phil hadn't wanted to approach him before, but this time he thought he might as well quickly say hello. He walked over to Luke who had his head in his hands.
"Luke?"
He looked up at him, his blue eyes watery. "Hey Phil, how are you?" Luke asked, forcing a smile.
"Don't worry about me, how are you?"
"Fine, yeah," Luke answered.
"You know I don't believe that, right?"
Luke chuckled. "I don't think anyone has, but you're the first to say it."
Phil shrugged. "If you ever need anything I'm always around."
"Thanks," Luke nodded.

"By the way," Phil said, taking a ring out of his pocket. He hadn't forgotten the promise he had made to Ashton. "Ashton gave this to me before he died, it's for you." Phil handed Luke the ring and saw the sadness grow in his eyes. 

"T-Thank you," Luke sniffled.