Chapter 37

Eren reluctantly kept going to work. He and Levi were placed on other cases while the FBI used their resources to try and find the location of the LSTI's headquarters. He was still pissed, but he had blown off his steam at the gym and at home a bit (if you know what I mean *wink*). Eren sat at his desk, playing with some paper clips to get rid of his boredom. He noticed the FBI agent who was in charge come into the office out of the corner of his eye. The tall man stood right in front of the elevator and clear his throat, shouting out to the whole room.
"Can I have your attention, please?" he commanded, standing firmly in place. "I do not mean to cause any alarm amongst you, but we have reason to believe there are traitors among you who are working for the criminal organization we are trying to stop."
There were gasps and murmurs from around the room. Eren looked up to see who had moved to stand beside him and saw Mikasa there. Her arms were crossed and she had a look of disdain on her face.
"We will do our best to find them, but please expect random interrogations," the man continued. "That is all."
The office erupted in chatter and Eren turned around in his chair to face Mikasa. She was practically a sister to him. When her parents were killed when she was young she was taken in by Eren's family. His father had been a doctor and had cared for her and her family before. Mikasa never legally became a Jaeger, and so was only a sister to Eren by their bond. She was constantly overprotective of him, especially when Levi was around.
"What's up?" Eren asked her, leaning back in his chair nonchalantly.
"Just came to say hi," Mikasa answered. "And see how you're doing. I know having the drop the case must have been hard..."
"You're a bit late for condolences on the subject," Eren interrupted.
"If I had said anything it would have made you angrier," Mikasa sighed. "You know how I feel about the whole ordeal. You have completely dropped it, right?"
"Yeah, much to my disliking," Eren groaned.
"You're better off," Mikasa said. "You could have gone insane looking for them."
"Yeah, well. now I won't, happy?" Eren questioned, getting up from his chair and walking to the elevator.
"Eren, wait..." Mikasa called after him, but he ignored her as the doors closed in front of him.
----
When Katie woke up she was confused, because she didn't recognize where she was. Then she remembered the night before, and raised a hand to touch her lips. She and Joe... had kissed. She got out of bed and went upstairs, finding Joe at the kitchen counter eating a bowl of cereal. She took a bowl from the cabinet and poured some for herself. The refrigerator was almost empty except for a jug of milk, some beer, and some styrofoam leftover containers.
"You should probably get some more food," Katie suggested to Joe as she poured the milk into her cereal. It wasn't even a good kind, but it was all he had.
"Yeah, probably," Joe replied with a mouthful of cereal. "I usually get takeaway."
"Of course you do," Katie mumbled with an eye roll.
"Hey, um, can I talk to you about something?" Joe asked.
"Of course, what is it?"
"Uh, what happened last night, erm, can we just forget about it for a little while? I... I'm not really sure I'm ready for another relationship yet... it's only been a few weeks since he died..."
"Of course, I understand," Katie answered, even though secretly her heart was sinking in disappointment. "You just lost Caspar, and I know you loved him. Take all the time you need, man."
"Thank you, you're such a great friend."
Yeah, Katie thought. Friend.
----
There was a knock on the office door and Dan called for whoever it was to come in. A short blonde girl came in who Dan didn't recognize.
"Who are you?" he asked.
"I'm Annie Leonhart," she answered. "Since the last Leader was killed there was no time for you to be informed on this matter, but I'm an undercover League agent working with the police."
"We have people in the police?"
"Yep," she replied, nodding as she did.
"Wow, um. so what do you have to report?"
"I'm afraid nothing good," Annie said. "The FBI is in London and are looking for us."
"The FBI? As in the American FBI?"
"Yes," she responded. "And their looking for us. They also are suspicious about us having people inside the police force. I think my cover may soon be blown, but our other two operatives are not being suspected."
"We have more?"
"Yes, Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover."
"Okay," Dan nodded. "Well, let me know how things are going. We'll have to be cautious now as we go about things."
"May I ask you something, sir?"
"Sure."
"Why haven't there been any missions lately? Activity from League members has been quiet."
"Um, we're undergoing some possible changes, uh, it's kind of complicated," Dan stuttered, scratching his head.
"Alright, well, I should be getting back," Annie said.
"Yeah, thank you," Dan dismissed, watching her leave the room. He sighed and leaned back in his chair, running through what she had just told him. The authorities were trying to catch them, and if they did get caught they'd all be put in prison, and probably for life. There is no evidence of any of their crimes, but belonging to a criminal organization with records of what missions they sent people on would surely suffice as a punishable crime. Not to mention the ownership of so many weapons not available to the general public. The police were definitely going to be a problem.
'Yes, quite a problem indeed.'
"What the fuck?" Dan exclaimed, getting up from his chair in surprise at the voice he heard. He was on the pills, so how could he be hearing...
'Don't overthink it, just be grateful that I'm back.'
"Get out of my head!" Dan shouted, holding his hands over his ears.
'You can't get rid of me anymore! I am here forever, Daniel!'
"Stop it!" Dan screamed.
'Now, those cops... they surely are going to be a problem aren't they?'
"No... don't..."
'I know what we should do.'
"Please, stop..."
'We should...'
"Get out!"
'Kill them.'
"We should..." Dan said, finding himself not being able to stop himself from saying the next two words. "Kill them."