Lily- Why Him? Why Remus?

It's been twelve hours since the healers disappeared into Remus' room and we haven't heard a thing about Remus' condition.

"I really hate waiting." Marlene confesses guiltily. She showed up a couple of hours ago.

"Same." James agrees softly. His hazel eyes look so dull and exhausted. "When is someone going to tell us how Remus is doing?" He finally snaps impatiently. From the moment we got here, I knew James was going to be a ticking time bomb.

"James, they'll tell us something when they can. Remus is going to be fine." I carefully attempt to placate him.

"How do you know?" James bitterly demands.

"Take a walk to cool down, mate." Sirius suggests from the cheap plastic seat beside me. "We're all a little stressed and worried, but that's no reason to be rude to Lily."

Sighing heavily, James gets up. "I'm going to find something to eat that doesn't taste like shite." He storms out of the hallway.

"Is he always that rude to you, Lily?" Sirius asks to my surprise. His dark grey eyes seek mine in concern.

"Of course not. His short temper tends to get the best of him during situations when he feels that someone he loves is in danger."

"He'll come back when he's calmed down." Marlene states softly as she rests her head again Sirius' shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Lily. He just hasn't been himself lately. I was just concerned." Sirius admits.

"It's been rough lately. This war is taking its toll on all of us." I pause for a moment. "Especially, James. He's lost his parents and it's been a hard year all around."

"I found some food." James declares as he walks towards us. He hands each of us a sandwich.

"Thanks."

"No problem, Lils." Carefully, he sits down beside me. "Have you heard anything?"

"No, I'm sorry."

James nods and kisses my forehead. "I just wish we knew something." He murmurs.

"I know. I know."

.................................

"I'm looking for Mr. Lupin's family." A stout Healer with pale blonde hair informs us.

"We're his friends." Sirius declares as he raises his head to look up at the lady.

"I must insist that I speak to his parents." She snaps at us.

"They are on their way. They were away on a trip."

"Why can't we know if he's okay?" Marlene demands.

"Patient privacy." She looks at us for a moment. "How were all of you involved in this?"

"We were there when he got attacked." James states. He runs a hand through his hair.

"This bloody place is impossible to navigate." Loud frustrated voice exclaims.

"Lyall, I'm sure we're almost there." A soft feminine voice gently placates.

"Mr. and Mrs. Lupin! Over here." James calls out.

"Oh James!" Mrs. Lupin exclaims as she hurries around the corner. Mrs. Lupin is as pretty as ever with her light green eyes and dark brown hair. The last time I saw her was at our graduation. Unfortunately, she was sick with the flu when we got married, so she couldn't attend. "I wish it wasn't under such circumstances that we all meet again." She says gently.

Mr. Lupin stands behind his wife. He looks shockingly like Remus, only taller and broader in the shoulders. "So have you heard anything about Remus?" He inquires tiredly.

"Mr. and Mrs. Lupin, if you'll follow me." The healer insists. The three of them disappear into Remus' room.

"I wish we'd just get to know if he's okay!" Sirius blurts out.

"I'm exhausted." I slump down in my chair. "We've been here for hours."

"It's okay, sleep, love. I'll wake you. You can lean against me." James whispers.

Slowly, I lean against him and shut my eyes.

Remus has to be okay. He has to be. I don't know what I'll do if he isn't okay. Remus has been my friend for as long as I can remember. Even when I thought the Marauders were a bunch of idiots, Remus was someone I could depend on. He's one of my best friends...

...........

"Lily, wake up." James gently shakes my shoulder.

I blink a few times and stare up at my husband.

His eyes are red as if he's been crying. "Remus... He's dying. They don't know how to treat him. They don't know what happened to him." A single tear slips down his cheek. "Lily, we're going to lose him...

.................

A/N: Hey everybody! Happy New Year! I know this update is a little late. Sorry about that! I was super busy with family events.
May this year be a great year for everyone!