Chapter 16: Friends, Food and Fun

Recap: All Manik's and Nandini's friends are at Nandini's house for dinner. Shahid is stunned at the changes in Manik and tells Nandini that he wouldn't have left S.P.A.C.E if she changed him before. Nandini says that she protected him then too. Manik feels Shahid is not the one who needs protection, rather he needs to be protected from Nandini's punches.

Nandini: Awww! Manik you are so proud of me na. (For the punch) Actually, I can make you more proud. Dikhaun?

Manik made faces like he was scared and everyone laughed.

Mukti: Haaw Manik! You are so scared of her!

Manik was about to reply...

Dhruv: We all know of one punch and after that Manik was like 'something inside me went boom' ( imitating Manik) but Nandini said 'punches', kitne baar punch kiya isko?

Nandini blushed a little thinking of the jungle romance and the punch that followed but didn't want to bring it up in front of Dhruv ( sensitive topic considering the reasons for the punch) Manik understood and helped out.

Manik: Who said I am the monster! This girl can make the 'monster' go mad with just one punch!

Nandini smiled.

Chachi: Dinner ready. Come to the table bachche.

Manik wanted to speak to Chachi privately, so they went to the kitchen.

Manik: Chachi, I am very worried about Nandini's safety. Could I stay here?

Chachi: Sure. I am concerned too. I will get Rishabh's room ready for you to stay.

Manik frowned but knew they were never going to let him sleep in the same room as Nandini.

At the table:

Manik: Guys sit. Feel at home.

Mukti: Manik behaving like a gharjamai ( live in son in law) Haww!

Manik: Mukti! Shut up.

Multi giggled as Manik sat with Nandini and Alia to both his sides. Dhruv had taken the decision to mend things with Alia, so he sat beside her. Mukti sat beside Dhruv and Navya, while Shahid was sandwiched between Navya and Nandini. Chachi brought a tray with food.

Chachi: I made pizza soup with panner, Mexican idli and bhindi pasta for all of you.

Everyone were stunned by the dish names.

Chachi: Manik, the bhindi Pasta, I made specially for you because you liked it last time. Oh and Manik, you never ate the halwa na? I will make it for tomorrow and send it for all of you also.

Alia whispered: Manik from when did you start liking these things?

Manik: From the day I had to impress Chachi!

Manik thought- Kya kya khana padta hai to stay close to Nandini and now she wants me to eat everything! Kuch aur nahi maang sakti thi kya? Like a kiss, I would have loved to give her that!

Lost in thought of a kiss, Manik placed his hand on Nandini's lap. Nandini stared at him and in unspoken words said " Manik! Sab hai, why are you behaving like this today!" And Manik replied to her through their special eye-eye language "I don't care."

Alia puts the mexican idli in her mouth and felt like throwing up. She swallowed that portion with great difficulty.

Manik: Try the bhindi pasta, it's very nice.

Alia whispered: Manik I really don't know how you eat all this and still live!

Manik whispered: I have no other choice!

Alia whispered: But I do!

Alia: Chachi, I had an eating disorder a few months back. So, I can only eat a few things now. Could I have some juice?

Chachi: Arre! I will make egg kichdi for you.

Alia: No no no, i am fine. Thanks. Just juice please.

Everyone laughed silently seeing Alia's situation. Nandini looked at her apologetically and Chachi instructed Nandini to take care of the guests and went into the kitchen to bring juice. Manik took a piece of idly.

Manik: Nandini, see my finger hasn't healed yet and it burns when I touch food. ( Remember Manik cut his finger while cutting a tomato) So, I need help.

Nandini got up to get a spoon but Manik held her by her wrists. So she sat again, Manik said 'feed me' in their unspoken language. Although she knew Manik's fingers weren't burning anymore, she decided to help him anyway. The pain of three months of separation affected her too. Both of them longed for each other's love, care and affection. So, she broke the idlis into small pieces and started feeding him piece by piece.

Dhruv noticed them and thought- Look at the bond they share. If only Alia and me were together.

Mukti: Aawwww!

Nandini: His hand was hurt na, so....

Navya (in a teasing tone): You could have offered him a spoon too you know!

Manik: I have to still hold the spoon na! See I can't even touch anything. ( he demonstrated by holding a glass in response to Navya)

Chachi: Anybody want more?

Nandini: Yes Chachi, Manik needs more.

Chachi: Its all for him only! Wait wait I will get more food.

Manik smiled angrily at Nandini remembering her order to finish everything that Chachi made. With the help of Nandini, he finished all the portions of food prepared by Chachi with great difficulty ofcourse considering the items on the menu ( although he didn't show it). While eating, Manik noticed the tension between Dhruv and Alia. So after dinner he decided to talk to him.

Manik: Buddy, are you alright? I haven't really spoken too much with you since I came back.

Dhruv: All good!

Manik: Dhruv, I am not blind, I can see they way you and Alia act around each other. I know things are not fine.

Dhruv: She doesn't want to get back together. I am going to try to win her back again though.

Manik: Let me know if you need any help buddy.

Dhruv: I will handle it my way this time.

Manik: Okay, lets go before Nandini gives me more tasks for being late!

Dhruv laughed and they joined everyone else.