Chapter 32: The Mystery Man

Recap: Harshad and Nyonika are in jail.  Manik learns of his disorder and that he tried to kill Nandini.  Manik realizes from his conversation with Nyonika that someone else was involved in making him forget Nandini.

Thursday, 7:30 PM (outside Dr. Sharma's clinic)

Manik: Nandini, I can't hurt you... Not again. I know that I can become that monster anytime. You are my life, Nandini. I will never let anything that can harm you come near you.

Nandini: Manik! What are you saying?

Manik: I am protecting you from me. I have to go, far far away from you.

Nandini: You can't do that.

Manik: Bye Nandini.

Manik started walking away from Nandini, but stood in his place when he heard her scream for him. 

Nandini: Manik, please don't leave me. You are letting Nyonika ma'am win. You said we can deal with anything when we are together. You kept my hope alive by telling me that its not over till its over. I know its not, this is not the end of us, Manik. Manik, Don't go! cannot stay without you! 

He turned, looked at her in tears and ran towards her. Immediately, Manik hugged Nandini tightly like his life depended on her. She hugged him back, knowing that he could never leave her. Manik spoke as  they continued to hug each other.

Manik: I cannot stay without you either Nandini, but this separation is the only way I can keep you safe. I don't care if she wins or if I loose anymore. Nothing is more important to me than you. 

He left her and looked into her eyes. He walked backwards not letting go of the connection he had with her eyes. Nandini stood there crying, not knowing what to say or do. 

8:00 PM (Police Station)

Manik: Inspector, I would like to speak to Nyonika in person for a few minutes. Please arrange for the meeting. 

Inspector: Sure Manik.

Soon , Manik was taken to a meeting table in the jail area and Nyonika was brought there as well. 

Manik: Ha ha ha... Really! Its funny to see you like this!

Nyonika: Manik! Why are you here now? You got what you wanted right? Me in jail? 

Manik: I need to know who else was involved with whatever happened to me after  the accident?

Nyonika: And why should I tell you anything after you put me in jail?

Manik: You still haven't changed! Its always about give and take for you. Fine! I will withdraw my complaint against you if you tell me who the other person is.

Nyonika: He is none other than your father. 

Manik: Dad? But why? What did he have to do with all this?

Nyonika: Go ask him.

Manik: Thank you Nyonika. Guards you can take her in.

Nyonika: But our deal? 

Manik: People change!

Manik walks out leaving Nyonika in jail. He takes his car and drives to Pune to meet his dad. He knew Nyonika was lying or planning something and he had to find out, plus Pune would keep his mind off Nandini. 

8:00 PM (Nandini's house)

Everyone arrived after they learnt that Manik disappeared from Navya. 

Mukti: How can he just leave?

Dhruv: Everything was fine, why did that doctor have to tell him about it?

Navya: Nandini, you are fine na?

Nandini had tears in her eyes. 

Chachi: What happened? Why do you all look so sad? Wait I will get something to eat.

Navya took Nandini to her room and decided to talk to her alone. 

Navya: Nandini, Manik can not stay away from you. I have seen that

Nandini: This time, he was serious. He did this because he loves me, and thats why I couldn't stop him. 

10: 30 PM (Pune)

Manik entered his dad's house and every place reminded him of Nandini. The entrance, reminded him of how nervous she was to meet his dad. He walked upstairs to the balcony and remembered the night they spent there, the dining table reminded him of the conversation Nandini had with his dad. His memories of Nandini were cut short by his dad's voice from behind him.

Mr. Malhotra: Manik! What brings you here?

Manik: Dad, I have been having these weird black outs and I remember a few things.

Mr. Malhotra: Did you get it checked up?

Manik: Yes, I found out that Nyonika used by amnesia to make me forget aspects of my life. 

Mr. Malhotra: Why would she do that?

Manik: You tell me. 

Mr. Malhotra: I take it that Nyonika has spoken to you. 

Manik: So what do you have to say?

Mr. Malhotra: I found out that you had been in an accident and called Nyonika immediately to find out how you were. By the time I reached Mumbai, you were in a state of coma in the hospital. We moved you to Delhi so that you get the best medical care. Miraculously you woke up and the first word you said was "Nandini." I was there, and when I asked you who Nandini was, you didn't know. The doctors were stunned that you regained consciousness so quickly after such an injury to your head. They diagnosed you with amnesia, but what perplexed them and me was that you kept calling for Nandini even thought you didn't remember her. We thought we can trigger your memories back if we used Nandini. I instructed Nyonika to find anything on this girl called Nandini, and only make you remember her.  I kept calling Nyonika to find out if there was any progress, and then one day you remembered things, so we thought it was all ok. 

It made complete sense now. Nyonika did the exact opposite and asked the doctors to make him remember everyone except Nandini. In his visions Nynoika was scared of the man on the phone because Manik's dad kept calling to find out if Manik remembered anything.

Manik: Why didn't you tell me anything dad?

Mr. Malhotra: You were still recovering, but then you suddenly disappeared before we could tell you anything.  

Manik walked out happy that Nyonika was in jail for all the evil things she had done to him and Nandini. His heart longed to go and hug Nandini, but he couldn't risk it, so he drove off into the dark night, without an address or a destination... never intending to meet Nandini again. 

11:00PM (Nandini's house)

Everyone looked at the door as they heard the door bell ring.

Dhruv walked up to the door to open it and was surprised to see who it was.