Chapter 21: Fear

Recap: Nandini and Manik go underground to a house in the middle of nowhere. Nandini starts to made some dinner. Suddenly she is attacked by "the shadow" who was incidentally Manik all along. She hits him on the head with the chopping board to protect herself, and Manik falls to the ground unconscious. 

Tuesday, 7:45 PM (Hideout house)

Nandini saw Manik's lifeless form and had tears in her eyes. The fear of loosing him again, forever loomed on her. She blamed herself for everything, as she pushed him down. She thought she killed him even after he returned for her. Nothing else mattered to her more than him, the fact that he tried to kill her with the knife didn't even cross her mind when she saw Manik like this. 

Nandini: Manik... Please...Wake up Manik

She cried aloud knowing Manik disliked her tears. She thought that that might wake him up from this seemingly perennial slumber. She was helpless, and didn't know what to do seeing his lifeless body. They were in an area where there was no phone connectivity and the place was so deserted. She held Manik's hand but he didn't hold her back. She didn't want to leave his side, but had to do something. Nandini opened the door to search for someone, anyone that could help her Manik. Outside to house she found a ray of hope, or rather rays of hope. There was a white sedan on the other side of the road with three people in it. Nandini started running towards the car.

Dhruv: I told you. They have come here to have some alone time, we should go.

Mukti: Manik didnt seem normal, I think we should stay a little longer.
Alia: look guys... Nandini?

Nandini came and hugged Alia who was closest to her. Alia broke the hug noticing that she was crying.

Mukti: Nandini, what happened? 

Nandini: Ma... Ma..Manik...

Dhruv: What did he do?

Nandini: Ma.. Manik, he is unconscious. 

Alia and Mukti: What!

Dhruv: Lets go in guys.

They all rushed in and were shocked to see Manik lying on the kitchen floor. Dhurv immediately took some water and sprinkled it on Manik's face. Manik didn't respond to the water nor to their voices. 

Dhruv: We need to get him to the hospital immediately. Help me carry him to the car. 

All of them together carry Manik to Manik's car (which is bigger than the white sedan used by Fab 3) They placed Manik in the back and Nandini sat with Manik's head rested on her lap. Mukti said she will drive the sedan so Alia sat with Dhruv in the front of Manik's car. Within 30 minutes, the reach the nearest hospital, the City Hospital. Alia gets out of the car and gets a team with a stretcher to take Manik inside. Dhruv fills out the forms so that the hospital can formally admit Manik as a patient. A nurse asked Dhruv for Manik's family details. 

Nurse: We need it as they have to sign papers that declare that they understand that we are not responsible in case anything happens to Manik at the hospital. 

Dhruv: We are the only family he has here. His father is in Pune. 

With a heavy heart Dhruv said: I can sign. 

Nurse: Ok. Wait for the neurologist,  Dr. Aditi. 

In the room, Manik was placed on a bed and Nandini sat beside him holding his hand while she was still crying. Alia and Mukti stood beside Nandini. In a few minutes Dr. Aditi entered the room. She performed a preliminary examination on Manik.

Dr. Aditi: How and when did he fall?

Nandini: He hit him with a cutting board and he just fell about 1 hour ago. 

Dr. Aditi: If it was just that he shouldn't be unconscious for so long.  We will need to conduct a PET-CT scan of his brain. 

Nandini: Is he alright? I did this to him. Me.

Nandini was still crying out of fear of loosing Manik forever. 

Dr. Aditi: I cannot conform anything right now. Nurse, please take him to scan room. All of you can wait outside the scan room. I will call you once the scan is completed. 

Through a circular glass in the door, Nandini could see Manik going into the tomography matching. 

Nandini: Ayyappa! Please save him. I am so sorry Manik, take me if you want but not him. 

Multi placed her hand on Nandini's shoulder.

Mukti: Nandini, don't say things like this. Manik can not survive without you. We see the way he loves you. And don't you blame yourself for this. 

Nandini: Mukti, but if I didn't hit him... 

Mukti: You heard the doctor, you hitting him is not the reason for his unconsciousness. 

Nandini nodded her head. Alia and Dhruv also came near Mukti and Nandini to see Manik in the scan room. 

Mukti: Tell us what exactly happened. Why did you both go there to that house all of a sudden. 

Nandini: Manik, was scared that that shadow was trying to harm me. So, he wanted to go underground. 

Dhruv: why didn't he tell us then? 

Nandini: I don't know. It was all fine....suddenly he took the knife.... and tried.... 

Nandini couldn't complete the sentence. She still couldn't accept the fact that Manik tried to kill her. Why would she, after all he was the love of her life, her Manik. 

Alia: Tell us Nandini, what happened?

Nandini took a deep breath.

Nandini: He tried to kill... 

Fab 3 were shocked and screamed in unison: What!

Before they could probe Nandini further, they saw Dr. Aditi exit the room adjacent to the scan room. 

Nandini: Doctor, Manik...

Dr. Aditi: you can come in. 

As they walked towards her room, they saw a few nurses move Manik towards his room. Nandini's eyes followed Manik as far as she could. She knew he needed her by his side, but she wanted to know if he was alright. So, she walked into the doctor's room. 

Dr. Aditi: Please sit down. Manik is fine and should wake up soon.

All of them breath a sigh of relief. 

Dr. Aditi: But...

Note: Hi wonderful readers, thank you so much for reading, voting and commenting on the story so far. This chapter is dedicated to all of you and especially to those who figured out that Manik was the "shadow"