Chapter 36.

I roll over and hear a faint buzzing coming from the bedside table. I frown and shuffle myself over grabbing my phone. I turn down the brightness and see message upon message from Mitch.

I furrow my eyebrows and swipe across the newest message.

From Mitch☺️: Soph? Are you awake? Meet me downstairs.x

As I'm reading that message another one comes through.

From Mitch☺️: please?x

I gaze up to the top of my screen and focus on the time. 3:25am. Why the hell is he texting me at this time of the morning.

To Mitch☺️: okay, I'm coming down now.x

I lock my phone and place it back on the bedside table, slipping out of bed. I open the door quietly and look back at Perri sleeping peacefully. What am I doing?

I sigh and tiptoe downstairs, trying not to step on any creaks.

I head into the living room and see Mitch sat staring at the floor, jigging his leg.

"Mitch." I say making him shoot his head up.

"Soph." He says surprised to see me, even though I replied to him.

"What are you doing down here?" I ask, whispering.

"I needed to speak to you." He says, rising from the seat.

"About what? And why couldn't it wait until it was light out?" I question.

"Look, I haven't been able to think properly since Perri questioned me about having feelings for you." He begins, trailing off.

"Mitch, I know what you're getting at, but trust me- you don't like me like that." I sigh shaking my head.

Why did I agree to come downstairs to speak to him?

Why didn't I just stay in bed?

"No, that's the thing though Soph, I do." He says stepping closer to me. "Since we came to your school I thought you were beautiful, and then you and Clara started coming down and I realised how I felt." He explains.

"Yeah Mitch, I started coming down more often because I'm dating Perri." I stress. "You don't like me like that, it not a possibility."

"I can't help it." He whispers, gradually moving closer until he's inches away from my face, staring right at me. "I know how I feel."

"Mitch, no-"

"What's going on?" Perri announces from the bottom of the stairs.

"Nothing." Mitch says quickly, backing away.

"Soph?" Perri says, folding his arms.

"Yeah, um, Mitch wanted to speak to me." I stutter.

Do I tell him what he said?

"Yeah, it looks like it." Perri mutters, shaking his head. "I can't believe you."

"Are you kidding me Perri, nothing happened!" I exclaim. "Why don't you believe me?!"

"Because I saw you both, pulling away." He sighs.

"We didn't kiss!" I say raising my voice, and throwing my arms around. "Tell him Mitch."

I look over at him and he drops his head to look at the floor.

"Seriously Mitch?!" I exclaim, anger filling me. "I swear to you Pel, we didn't kiss."

He shakes his head and turns away, walking back upstairs.

What just happened?

I turn to Mitch who slowly looks up. I stare at him, I don't understand. Why didn't he tell the truth?