The Award Night

Alia

I didn't realize when the months had passed. I had been dating Samar for around a year. We were going strong and I was really happy about that. Tonight I was accompanying him to an award function. After being the best actor in various award shows for his role in 'Dilon Ki Dastaan', I was sure this one also belonged to him. This time he insisted on taking me. After saying no for all the ones before this, I gave in.

We watched the awards being presented to the winners by eminent personalities from various fields. We were sitting in the second row, I was next to Samar, RD next to him and then the heroine. SRK was also supposed to be with us, but he was mostly backstage, due to his commitments.

They were giving away the off screen awards first and that included the best story. When the presenter announced my name, Samar insisted on coming up with me.

"I have been accepting this award on her behalf all year. I think it is time for her to own up to her deeds." Samar said before I could say anything.

"It feels good to be recognized, thank you." I said before I went back t my seat.

"This is why you wanted me to come today?"

"Yes. This is the last and most important award of the year." He said.

After a while, Samar tugged me as he got a call, asking us to be backstage. We were giving away the award for the best actor in a supporting role.

"The nominees are..." I heard the host announce.

"To give away the award, we would like to welcome Samar Khan and Alia Verma to the stage." They said and we walked in.

The hosts commented on the two of us giving away the award together and Samar responded by saying not to taunt me or else I wouldn't come by the next time

The hosts commented on the two of us giving away the award together and Samar responded by saying not to taunt me or else I wouldn't come by the next time. We were asked to announce the winner.

"And the award for the best actor in a supporting role goes to," Samar said and turned to me.

I opened the envelope that revealed the winner and Samar signalled me to say it aloud.

"I am really happy to announce this, it is a dream come true moment for me" I said without even realising that I didn't need to. But I was overwhelmed to see the name.

"Shah Rukh Khan for 'Dilon Ki Dastaan'."

SRK came in from the backstage to accept the award. He hugged me before I handed the trophy to him.

He said about how RD had refused to give him the lead in this movie. He was so determined to act in this and so he took up this role. He also thanked me; thankfully, Samar was next to me, so, in case I fainted, he would be able to catch me.

A few minutes later Samar was back on stage, this time to accept the award for the best actor, while I sat among the audience, watching him.

"I would start by thanking RD, the person who recognized me and brought me to this industry. First time I read this script, to be honest, I didn't believe I should do this. It was against my beliefs, but then, my friend Natasha and RD persuaded me into doing this. They told me this would be my golden ticket, my big break. Reluctantly I agreed. I was really rude to the writer, Alia, who is now my girlfriend. Yeah, so you know how it all ended up. I am really glad that they talked me into doing this, I'll be always grateful. Alia, thank you for this, I admit I was wrong. Thank you all for this." He said raising his award high towards the audience.

I smiled at him when he came back and sat beside me. Tears were threatening to fall from my eyes and I didn't want them to. He gave his award to me and I smiled at him.

RD also got the award for the best director and I couldn't be more proud.

We left soon after the function concluded. RD asked me to be there for the first day's shooting of my next story being made into a movie. The one with the mother and two teenage sons. When I say it like that, it sounds like an episode from from F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Well, that wasn't until next month and I had a lot planned for the coming weeks.

Samar dropped me home later and I dozed off as soon as I hit the bed.

"Wake up Alia," I heard Anjali say as I attended the call. I checked the bedside clock to check the time; it was eleven-thirty in the morning.

"You know I am tired, why are you bothering me this early?"

"I am engaged."

That caught my attention.

"Are you serious? Or are you just saying that to get my attention?"

"I have better things to do than seek your attention."

"Okay fine, tell me what happened?"

"We had been thinking about taking the next step in our relationship for a while. Actually, my parents had started pestering me about marriage and he knew that. Yesterday, out of nowhere, he proposed."

"And you said yes. I am so happy for you." I said.

"I am also happy for me."

"You know, I have one problem with all this though," I started.

"The one that you have not met him yet. I have told you, you know him."

"And yet you don't tell me his name. At least tell me from where I know him."

"You'll see when you meet him."

"And when is that?"

"After you get back from your romantic getaway."

I didn't comment on that. Samar had planned for a two-week getaway, just the two of us, to Europe. I knew the time wasn't enough, but that was all he could manage. Diya was okay with the idea, but I still have no clue on how Samar convinced her.