18. The Beach

"Shay, listen, I wouldn't let them do anything to you," he kissed me, "I love you."

I didn't know what to think, did he actually just say that! Zane loves me, and I'm sure I love him back.

I smiled, "I love you too Zane."

---

By now, it was around 12 a.m. My mom wasn't home yet. I think she is staying at a hotel or something. I took Zane to my house and helped clean his wounds.

I helped him lay on my bed, "I'll go get a first-aid kit." I left my room and went to the bathroom and grabbed the kit.

"Zane, this is going to sting,"

He just said, "Just do it,"

"Okay," and I held down the damp washcloth on his arm where the cut was.

"Owww!" He yelled. I could feel tears filling my eyes. I hated seeing him hurt. It broke my heart.

I lifted the washcloth and cleaned some more of his cuts. By then I was crying.

"Shailene, why are you crying?"

"I hate seeing you hurt."

"Don't worry about me. Listen Shay, I'm going to be fine. Don't worry."

"Okay," I said trying to force a smile, "I will try and find a shirt that will fit you."

I couldn't find one big enough. It wasn't like I could go and grab one of my dad's. Right after he passed from cancer, my mom threw away all of his stuff. She only kept things like his wedding ring, and some of his favorite knick knacks. I gave up looking and left my mom's room.

"Sorry, I couldn't find anything." I frowned.

"It's okay, I don't need one."

"I could wash your shirt if you wanted." His shirt was covered in his own blood. I'm sure the blood wouldn't come out, but I could try.

He shook his head, "No, it's okay. I'd rather have you check me out," he smirked.

"In your dreams Wilde."

"Whatever you say Cupcake." He smiled.

I yawned, "I'm tired, I think I'm going to go to sleep. You can have the bed. I'll bring in-"

"No, come here." He said as he patted the bed.

"Okay," I went over and got in the bed. His arm draped over my side, sending tingles through my body.

I could hear him smile, "I could get used to this."

With that, I drifted off into a deep sleep.

---

I woke up to the smell of peanut butter. I noticed that Zane wasn't in the bed.

I got up and went downstairs to find Zane in the kitchen cooking pancakes.

"Good morning, Cupcake. Want some peanut butter pancakes?" I smiled as I thought of our first kiss in the kitchen when we were making peanut butter pancakes.

"Sure, let's not have a food fight this time though." I laughed.

"That was such a great kiss. One of the best." He said as he handed me a plate of pancakes. I didn't say anything and just dug in.

After we finished eating, I asked him, "Where's my mom?"

"Oh, there was a note on the fridge. She stayed overnight at a hotel for her job or something."

"Oh, okay. She is away too much. Like I could be holding a circus in here without her ever knowing."

He laughed, "Yeah, same with my dad. He's always working too."