20. Happy Birthday Part Two

I woke up with someone's arm draped over me. I was going to freak out until I realized it was Zane. I looked out the window, it was dark out. What time could it be? I looked at clock on the night stand next to the bed.

9:58 p.m

I decided to get up and take a shower. I was still sandy from the beach. Luckily there wasn't a lot in my you know where area, so it wasn't uncomfortable with Zane. I got in the shower and turned on Panic! At the Disco and hit shuffle.

About three minutes later, I hear a knock on the door.

"It's open," I said.

"Mind if I join you? I'm kinda sandy." He laughed. I opened the shower door and saw him standing there naked.

"Sure, I don't mind," I smiled. It was quite a peaceful shower. He helped get all of the sand out of my hair and I did the same for him. I can't help but feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I love Zane. I didn't think I could ever love anyone after what Tommy did. I thought about what Zane said one time, 'Once a dick, always a a dick' I now know that it's completely true about Tommy. I'm pretty sure he has already been with four or five different girls since we broke up. I can't believe girls actually fall for it though.

Once Zane and I got out of the shower, and got dressed we went to the kitchen.

"Want anything?" he asked.

I shook my head no, "I'm not hungry at the moment."

He smiled, "I love you."

"I love you too." I told him as he was getting a plate of strawberries. We sat down at the table and I watched him eat.

"What are we going to do about Dan?" I asked, "It's been on my mind all day."

"I have no idea. I don't know what his next move is, so we need to stick together at all times. I can't risk loosing you..again."

"Again..?" I questioned.

"Yeah, we almost lost you to the fire, the doc said your head was really bad and he wasn't sure if you were going to make it or not."

I sighed, "Oh, yeah, that whole fire thing is kind of a blur to me. I don't think much of it anymore."

"That's good, put it behind you." He said.

"I feel like Katelyn has a lot to do with Dan's gang. She could be the leader for all we know."

"I'm sure Dan is though. I don't understand why Dan is still caught up on me and my dad. We did what was right and kept him in jail."

I said, "He doesn't see it like that. He probably sees it more as a betrayal."

"So you're defending him now?" he said with a bit more of an attitude than I'd like.

"Of course not, I'm just saying if I was in the situation, I'd feel betrayed, even through all the shit he's put you guys through."

"That's still no reason to come after you family and kill them!" His voice got louder.

"Zane it's okay. Calm down! I didn't mean it lik-" But I was cut off.

"Shailene! Don't fucking tell me to calm down! My fucking brother is trying to kill me and my dad! How the fuck am I supposed to stay calm!?" I could feel the tears well up in my eyes.

I stood up and muttered, "I'm sorry.." as I stormed off. I walked to the beach. It's like 10:30 at night now and it's pretty dark, obviously. Luckily I have the beach to myself. I sit down close to the water but not too close that I'm touching it. I started to cry. I feel so bad for Zane. His own brother, trying to kill him and his dad.

I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around, "Zane, I'm so--Owww.." someone's fist connected with my jaw. Ow that really hurt. I'm seeing doubles, I just want to close my eyes...

"Shailene!" I heard someone yell, then I heard a gunshot, then I heard nothing and saw only black.

---Zane's POV---

"Shailene!" I yelled. Then I felt like my whole left shoulder was on fucking fire. Someone shot me! Owww..DAMN IT! I have to help Shay, now! I got up and saw two black figures running towards me. I tried to fight with my right arm but one of them kicked my leg and I collapsed. When I was on the ground yelling in pain, the other one kicked me in my stomach..that ones going to leave a big bruise.

"Shit..!" I cried. One of them put a bag over my head and tied my hands. They forced me up and made me walk until they told me to get in a car.

"Here's a towel...for your arm." One of the men said and put a towel on my left shoulder. It hurt so bad I couldn't stand it. I just wanted to sleep. I couldn't. I had to find Shay.

We drove for what felt like an hour or two and they took off the ties on my hand and told me to get out of the car. I did as told and was sitting on the concrete not knowing where the hell I was.

"Don't take off your bag until you hear us leave." One instructed. Once they finally drove off, I took off the bag.

I was at...the hospital? Why in the world would the people that shot me drop me off in a hospital? Someone ran out. I'm pretty sure it was that one nurse that Shay had seen.

"Are you okay? What happened? Come on I will help you! We have to look at your shoulder." he said frantically as he helped me in the hospital. He made me lay down on a stretcher and said, "What's your name sir?"

I replied, "Zane Wilde."

"Okay, my name is Brody. I'm a nurse here and the doctors will be..there they are! Hurry Dr. Jackson!" he shouted. So it was the nurse Shay saw.

"You have to hel-" Should I get the police involved? What do I do?! If I get the police involved then that will only make Dan's punishments worse and if I don't, it could be a decision I'd regret for ever.

"Sir? Are you okay? What were you going to say?" Dr. Jackson asked as he was wheeling me to the surgery room.

"Never mind, just get this bullet out of me, it hurts like a bitch." I said, hoping I wouldn't regret the decision I just made. I'm confident I can find Shay. I know Dan, he wouldn't kill her. He would, but he would wait until I was there to witness it. Just the thought of Shailene being hurt makes me wanna go crazy. I can't lose my Cupcake. Once I've got this bullet out of me, I'm going straight to Shailene. I don't care who's in my way. Nothing is going to happen to her.

***
xoxo,

Hey! I didn't plan on writing this chapter. I'm glad I did. I wrote this one on my phone. It's much easier and quicker.
Enjoy!

COMMENT, VOTE, and SHARE!

alexa