CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Friday 12th August, 2016.

Prof. Badmus remained with the Fani family the entire week. He never once called home to check how things were nor did he bother to put his wife's heart at peace by revealing his where about. David was beginning to nurture a sense of hatred towards his father's immaturity and remained on his mother's side. He had walked in some days back when Prof. Fani came to scold his mother about how she destroyed her own home. It made one wonder what exactly prof. Badmus told his friend. The part of the conversation David heard was still kept in his brain and makes him want to really cause some harm to the older man.

"Why did you hide it?" Grace had rolled her eyes and snorted.

"Ignorance is a terrible thing. Did he tell you what he did to Lolita? Did he tell you how he drove that girl to an attempted suicide? Did he tell you for three years he had known about his mother's secret and kept it quiet? And did he tell you that I had no idea who defiled me? Goodness! Why am I even discussing this with you! You are the same spineless, ruthless fool with a rigid mindset. Take your leave!"

"Put your house in order woman!"

"That is not my responsibility for God has not made me the head! Tell that immature rascal you are keeping in your house to come out like a man and face this crisis head on."

"He will not show his face until the DNA results come back."

"Tell him to hibernate more and come out when he is ready to face the truth that Lolita is his daughter and that we are all victims of his mother's schemes." Grace had walked out on Prof. Fani leaving him standing there like a lost dog. David shook his head as he slowly led the professor out of their house. Their father was seriously not handling the matter well. He should have gone to see a counselor not another blind person.

****************

Immediately after school was over at 1300 hours, Lolita boarded a bus to the hospital. Ryan had called to inform her about the arrival of the test results. Why did it have to come on the day of Rachael's bridal party? Lolita had faith in her mother's words and she knew the only person to be disgraced was not going to be her but her father who has been raving on like some victim of a great injustice. If there was anyone or people that were innocent, it was Lolita and David.

Uncle Dele did not adhere to his niece's order but remained in the hotel and paid his bills. He wanted to hear from the Doctor's mouth and see with his own eyes the result of the test. He realized what he did to Grace was unforgivable but what could he do to make things right? He pretended to be calm as he walked to the room where the Doctor in charge would be meeting them. The immaculate room was warm and soothing in a way. Mustard yellow blinds and walls, silver coloured sofa and a large glass table at the center of the room. On it was a tray of cold water and glass cups. Uncle Dele quickly helped himself. He was glad he was the first to come in. He knew a lot of drama might unfold once they realize he was not in Nigeria already.

Prof. Badmus walked in to the room looking neat and proper as ever but the sad and hurt look on his face was evident. Uncle Dele ignore him as he took his seat far from him. About five minutes later, Prof. Mrs. Grace Badmus walked in with David and Lolita following behind. Lolita gave her uncle a terribly hard glare which he ignored as well. She wondered what gave him so much confidence but decided to shun him. No one greeted each other except David who out of courtesy greeted his father and shook his head at his uncle.

About two minutes later the Doctor in charge of the results arrived. It was a tall woman probably in her late fourties. She smiled brightly revealing a dimple on her left cheek. Lolita smiled back, it reminded her of Ryan. She had told herself it was just formality because her father made the mistake of treating her like trash for looking like his treacherous mother. Why did she have to be the one to pay for Grandma Lolita's sin? All because they look alike? What demon made her father to react the way he did and forget the love she has for him? No matter what happens, her mind was made up. She will leave Botswana and only come when she can to see her mother. Goodness! Why were there so many people to forgive now? Her father, her late grandmother, Chidi, Lorato, Desire and now her beloved Uncle. Why was God allowing her loved ones to betray her so? What was the purpose of all this? Lately she had been pondering on how she was going to make her father regret his actions. Oh no! She wasn't running away but pursuing her dreams and at the same time showing her father she can make it without him.