CHAPTER THIRTY

Chidi arrived at the Muritala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos with shame and hurt banging loudly at his heart. He had explained to his mother, his only surviving parent that his wedding would not be taking place and he has broken things off with Lorato. She had screamed and screamed until he felt his ear tingle in pain. Questions upon questions followed but all he did was to weep like a baby. That had calmed his mother who promised to take care of the ready-made arrangements for the wedding. He knew his best friend too would flip when he tells him. The plane landed at 1100 hours on Nigerian soil.

Chidi grabbed his hand-luggage and followed the other passengers chattering away. As his feet touched his motherland, a heavy feeling of depression fell upon him. If only he had followed his heart to go back to Botswana and find Lolita, all this complications could have been avoided. Each step he took towards the Airport building separated him farther and farther away from the woman he loved.

*******

Any woman would be thrilled at the possibility of becoming Mrs. Johnson, Lolita too felt that way. The gentle and loving way he gazed at her reminded her of a quote about love she read a few years back;

"Love seeketh not itself to please, nor itself hath any care. But for another gives its ease and builds a heaven in hell's despair."

It felt it was just the two of them in the entire restaurant. Her slowly growing affection for him surprised her at first, not that it came at all but that it took her so long to like him back. It made sense though; her heart was now free from so many burdens  to the time they first met. The quote described Ryan's love and sincerity towards her and she made up her mind there and then to put him out of his misery.

"I would love and be honoured to be courted by you; get to know you better and prove to the world that our parents did right in seeking God out about us. Ryan..." Her voice trailed off.

"Yes." He replied with his beautiful brown eyes dancing with great expectations.

"I'm leaving." She said with regret in her voice.

"I know that." He replied sadly. "We could go to the immigration and apply for more days." He added eagerly.

"I don't want to do that."

"Why not?" He was surprised. "You have reconciled with your Dad."

"Yes I did but I need time to breathe, forgive; I need this time alone- away from everything and be with God without any distractions. I want to come back - to you- sane and with a more loving heart; one that is cleared of garbage and confusion."

Ryan reached out and took hold of her left hand, "I love you just as you are."

"I'm grateful for that but you will soon tire of my emotional instabilities and leave." Ryan could not remember the last time he felt this frustrated. Lolita smiled at him and said "I am doing this for us." His heart melted into jelly right away. The "us" in the sentence fixed all his confusion nd doubts about her love for him.

"So are you saying what I think you are...?"

"Yes Dr. Johnson. I am saying yes to your courtship proposal."

Ryan clapped happily and shouted like a little boy who got all he wanted from Santa on Christmas morning. He drew attention from other diners in the restaurant which made Lolita wanting to hide.

"I didn't say I will marry you." She said with a smug look.

"We shall see about that."

"Thank you for your willingness to wait for me." She looked at the box, took it and placed it in his hand.