CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Three months ago she could hardly tolerate him and was not at ease with her world; her path was dark, dreary and rocky but now everything was crystal clear. Lolita made an order of macaroni and cheese and dug in. He watched her in wonder as she ate heartily but in a polite manner. When she was done she looked at his barely touched dinner.

"You are not planning on throwing that away are you?" She asked in a motherly tone. He caught on fast.

"No ma'am. I will eat it all up right now." She smiled at him and watched as he ate. The thought of spending the rest of her life by his side was exhilarating. About ten minutes later, he finished his dinner.

Lolita enjoyed her coconut-Banana pudding and neatly wiped her mouth with the napkin next to her plate.

"I am satisfied." She declared happily.

"Food-Monger." Ryan teased with a chuckle.

"Thank you for dinner. I am proud of myself." She patted her belly lightly beaming proudly. "On a more serious note Ryan, I am grateful to you."

He flashed her a genuine smile and said,

"Dad discovered you and shared his findings with Mum. They prayed and secretly observed you at work and at church." Lolita gasped and asked,

"They visited my church?"

"Yes. Mum loved your motherly side with the Sunday school children."

Lolita felt her cheeks heat up in embarrassment. These people were serious about making her a part of their family.

"It's kind of hard to notice new faces in a church with a population as yours."

"What population? We are just about five hundred."

"That is a big number Lolly." He took a sip of water and continued, "Your Dad called me before I landed in Botswana three months back. He got my dials from my parents."

Lolita's eyebrow shot up in confusion. "What for?" She sighed and added,

"I bet to discourage you. Few months back he called me a worthless human being in front of a suitor from church. God! So much has happened and I am still struggling to forget all those painful memories."  She wiped a tear from falling down her face. Ryan knew it would be hard but with God all things are possible.

"I almost died once when he angrily tried to push me out of his way at church. I fell down from the top of a flight of stairs." She shuddered at the memory.

"God saved me Ryan; Dad truly hated me."

"No Lolita. He lost sight of God and hence lost sight of you. If he had seen God in the situation, he wouldn't have lost you or treated you the way he did. He ran away from God and from everyone that he ever loved, for God is love." Lolita could not hold back her tears anymore as they fell down her face. She quickly wiped them off and excused herself.

Ryan silently prayed, "Lord please perfect that which concerns Lolita for your love endures forever and you will not abandon the work of your hand of which she is a part."

*******

Desire stood up from her husband's side where they were both watching Television. She noticed that he has been unusually quiet since dinner and silently watched the movie showing on TV. She walked to their kitchen and brought back a bowl of home- made plain pop-corns.

"I made them a few hours ago." She said as she sat down. Her husband dipped his hand inside and scooped some to eat. About two minutes later he said,

"I called Lorato this afternoon." Desire's heart tightened. What had that wench of a friend said to her darling husband? Her jaws clenched but she gave no reply.