CHAPTER FOURTY

My sincere apologies for uploading this chapter late. I was so busy i could not think straight at least write anything meaningful. But i believe i will be updating the last few chapters soon. Thank you once again for your support.

Lolita was bathed in hugs and kisses and overwhelmed with so much happiness she lost track of time. It was now 2200 hours, she said her good nights, picked up the bouquet of the red roses Ryan gave her and was followed outside by the family with the exception of the now sleeping boys. "I will take you home." Ryan offered.

"How will you come home then?" Lolita asked

"I will take you in my car then tomorrow morning we will drop your car." He replied happily.

She readily agreed because it meant more time with her fiancé.

"I can't believe this! Our big brother is blushing! Or is that make up?" Masa teased.

Lolita laughed and pitied the slightly embarrassed Ryan. She linked her free arm with his and said "It is not only the bride that is allowed to blush, it's his good news too."

"Well said my dear. You must stand by and defend each other always." Mr. Johnson said.

"Thank you Dad!" Ryan exclaimed as he escorted Lolita into his car. They waved and drove out of the Johnson's grand estate.

"Please keep your eyes on the road blushing groom." Lolita chided gently.

"I can't help it Lolly but I will keep my eyes on the road I promise." He replied gently.

Just then a call entered Lolita's phone. She rummaged through her handbag and took her phone out. It was a Nigerian area code. Who could it be as it was an unknown number? It surely wasn't her uncle Dele; she knows his number by heart. If it was neither him nor her friends then who could it be?

"Why are you not picking up?" Ryan asked casually.

"It's a Nigerian number." She replied softly.

"Could it be Chidi?" Ryan suddenly asked. Lolita frowned her face in confusion. Why would he be calling her after calling off his wedding to Lorato? She really does not need any drama at the moment. She picked the call and said a "hello."

"Hello Lolita." That rich deep voice...it was Chidi!

Mrs. Chukwuka had reprimanded her son after hearing the full story. She blamed him for falling prey to such a set up and destroyed the heart of an innocent girl. In the end she encouraged him to move on and focus on his career and soon he will meet the right woman. But truth be told, he was still in love with Lorato but his trust and respect for her has weakened.

Each day was a struggle especially when he had to explain to his close friends that the wedding was off. Calling Lolita was to check how she was doing although he knew it was also playing with fire now that she might be already involved with Ryan. He was watching a news channel when he felt the urge to call her. He summoned his courage and did so.

"Chidi...how are you?" Seriously? The guy just recently got the shock of his life!

"Hanging in there. You?"

"I'm good." She beamed happily as she glanced at Ryan.

"I...I just wanted to check how you were doing."

"I can't complain Chidi. God has been so good." She chuckled to herself as she saw Ryan stiffen at the sound of Chidi's voice.

An awkward silence lingered after that. "So...I am sorry about your wedding, I really am."