Chapter 3

David's help could only reach a certain extent and he tried his best, which Evanee greatly appreciated. Though now she was stuck in the passenger seat with Jonathan who had no clue that she wasn't who she said she was. That and they were driving to Evan's house where he and his girlfriend were living.

It was enough to make her seriously contemplate jumping out of the moving car.

"So what do you do for a living, Ethan?"

"I just quit my job in Manhattan, but I work in the medical field. So once I find a place to stay, I'll be looking for a job at the nearest hospital," Evanee was struggling to keep her voice low.

Jonathan nodded. "Bet you get a lot working at hospitals. David mentioned you watch our videos?"

"Been a subscriber for three years."

It had been small talk between the two for the rest of the car ride. Not once had Evanee initiated a conversation, but Jonathan was happy to try and talk.

"I love this song," Jonathan turned the radio up with a soft smile and focused his eyes back on the road.

Evanee wasn't a stranger to this song. In fact, she loved it. It was a song that actually made her feel sad. Not only for her parents, but for Jonathan and his late sister.

After that one night, he talked about little Macy more often. She remembered that he always referred to her as "little Macy"; not Macy, or little sister. She was always little Macy.

Jonathan was the type of person to laugh everything off in public. Though when they were always alone, Jonathan felt comfortable enough to actually talk about certain things. He poured his heart out to her and most of his feelings were of the death of his little sister. He was always so heartbroken over it. Jonathan had told her it was because he was the one who always watched over her, played with her, and stayed by her side. And he couldn't do anything to stop her from getting worse when it was his job to protect her.

She missed their talks.

Come home
Come home
Cause I've been waiting for you

Evanee couldn't help but quietly sing along as she stared out the window. It was such a cliché, but she didn't want to look in Jonathan's direction. She didn't want to see the sad look on his face or she'd probably begin crying.

"How long are you going to keep this up, Evs? I know it's been a while but did you honestly think that I wouldn't recognize you or did you just want to ignore me?"

Her eyes stayed glued to the scenery outside the window. "You knew?"

"From the instant I saw you. I was just waiting for you to say something."

It was quiet for a few minutes. Evanee couldn't bare to look at him and Jonathan had no idea what to say. From time to time he'd glance at Evanee and feel a tug in his chest, but he didn't say anything. He desperately wanted to park the car on the side of the free way, get out of his seat, and kiss her.

That wasn't acceptable though. He hadn't seen her for three years. The different emotions in his heart were confusing him. All he wanted was for her to reach out herself. He just wanted to hear her say that she missed him, even if it was only a bit.

"Are we actually going to Evan's?"

"No. Not if you don't want to but I didn't lie when I said the motel was near his place," Jonathan said solemnly. She still cared to ask about Evan of course. "That's fucking it," Jonathan stopped abruptly on the side of the road, a few buildings away from their destination.