Chapter 30

They went home. Evanee couldn't face Gemma. She didn't want to see the confusion etched in her eyes as she stared at her forgotten niece. Drew was thankfully understanding and so were her friends as she remained silent throughout their journey home.

Gemma's house was as clean and organized as they had originally found it, before they embarked. Not soon after their leave, the four found themselves back in the heart of LA and to their own homes.

Evan was reluctant. He desperately wanted to stay with Evanee, for her own sake. Though, he knew that his presence wasn't always welcomed so Craig and Evanee were left alone in the comfort of their home.

"I'm going out."

Craig shot her an incredulous look. "We barely just got home, Evanee. Go get some rest for now."

With a worried glance, Craig watched as she walked up the stairs to her bedroom. He would be preoccupied with a bit of unpacking and maybe setting up a cozy movie night in for the two, just to keep Evanee's mind off of everything.

Meanwhile, the raven haired girl had been doing the opposite. She was packing. It was a small backpack she'd be carrying, large enough to hold a few extra pair of clothes, her toothbrush and toothpaste, a brush, and her charger. She kept her phone in her pocket so it was in reach, then sneaked out the window and carefully scaled down the house.

It seemed childish to sneak off, especially as a full grown adult in her own house but she knew how Craig could be. For now, she just wanted something unfamiliar. Maybe it was from the ache in her heart that was slowly convincing her that no one ever stayed.

She had taken an Uber to a decent area in LA. It was a bit later in the evening so Evanee distracted herself by admitting the different people the car passed by. She managed to see a man in a squid hat, as well as a girl around her age in heels who had stumbled quite a bit in the six seconds she observed her.

Evanee's driver was a quiet man, who seemed understanding enough to not interrogate her on a specific location. She had simply requested a relatively nice hotel that he knew of around the area. She wasn't disappointed.

The hotel he had dropped her off at wasn't this grand building, but it was better than decent. She was able to get a single room for the night. It had even surprised her when she realized that the gym she had a membership to was just beside the building, which would be a better way to deal with her emotions rather than stay inside her hotel room and cry.

So she changed into a pair of sleek black leggings and a black tank top. Her converse would have to do for the one being she realized as she locked the door to her hotel room.

Just the walk from the hotel to the gym was entertaining. Several limos passed by and a man had half of his body hanging out of the window of one of them, shouting the lyrics to a Hannah Montana song that Evanee vaguely remembered.

The gym was a little less than crowded, but Evanee didn't exactly mind. Either way, she felt alone. With her earphones in, the young woman let her anger out. Every new machine, exercise, run, Evanee was at her finest. Her heart beat rapidly and her head was pounding from lack of oxygen with how much she had been moving.

"Impressive."

"What is?" Evanee asked as she leaned against a wall, taking out her fourth water bottle in the past two hours.