Chapter 31

"Fuck, Evanee," Craig sighed in relief, seeing the young woman standing at the front door. His arms wrapped around her tightly, engulfing Evanee in warmth.

"Are you angry?"

Craig let go and they say at the couch. "No. I was for a bit, but I understand that you needed the space. Where'd you even go?"

"Downtown LA. There was a hotel there and a gym," she explained. "And when I was there, this guy offered to 'work out' with me. He's apparently a counselor and I scheduled an appointment for today."

She rummaged through her bag and handed Craig the card. There was no doubt he was a bit suspicious, but Evanee could clearly see the worry in his eyes.

Craig said he would make some tea for the two of them and a late breakfast, while Evanee went upstairs to unpack all of her belongings. She and Jordan planned for their meeting to be at seven. She'd be his last client of the day and they'd go out for a quick dinner.

Once she was done putting her things away, Evanee went downstairs to see Craig sitting on the couch with his laptop on his lap. Two steaming mugs were on the coffee table and two plates of omelettes.

"A counselor for anxiety and depression?" Craig asked, hearing her walk down the stairs. "Is it that serious?"

Evanee wasn't sure of the answer. This meeting with Jordan would determine that, which was exactly what she told Craig. The entire situation worried him. Of course he knew that Evanee wasn't doing the best, but he didn't want to accept it. He wanted Evanee to be happy and to be the one to help her.

"You know I love you, right? Just platonically, if you want. You're important to me and I know that it's hard right now. Whatever you'll be talking about, I want to know. I want to know that you'll be getting better."

Evanee smiled. "I love you too, loser. Now, I think we should maybe do something fun before I subject myself to an hour long counseling session where I talk about feelings."

"Bar on Walnut?"

The bar on Walnut street had become a frequented place between her and Craig. Whenever they needed a drink, which wasn't that often, they walked there. It was near and it was welcoming.

"My treat," Evanee said. "Let me change really fast and we'll go."

So she ran upstairs to change into black, high-waisted latex leggings that she drunkenly bought on eBay after wanting to look like Olivia Newton-John in Grease. Then she put on a plain black tee shirt, a leather jacket, and black wedges to pull off the entire 'badass' look she was feeling.

"That's hot," Craig breathed out, seeing Evanee walk down the stairs. "Seriously. Not trying to flirt, but the outfit's really..."

He shuddered and slyly smiled as he stared at nothing in particular. Evanee couldn't imagine what was going on I his head.

"Time to go," she said, waving a hand in front of his face and grabbing her wallet and keys.

They began walking and in five minutes they were at the Bar, sitting down at their favorite stools and both ordering beers. Evanee tried not to drink much, only taking small sips of her bottle every few minutes so that she didn't come off as an alcoholic in front of Jordan.

"So this guy? Jordan Grey," Craig began, knowing his name from the website, "what do you think of him?"

"Charming and attractive and definitely someone I'd want to stay professional with during the appointment."

Craig stared at her. "Why?"

"Because I already suck at relationships. I'm not risking getting feelings for another person."