22

Kai inhaled sharply. "Let me go Ri."

"Kai-"

"Let me-"

He never finished his sentence but his life stopped as Julian tore out his heart. I let out an ear piercing scream, watching the life fade from Kai before his head fell back.

"Kai!"

Gasping, I sat up in the bed. I felt a hand on my arm and jumped in fright. "Riley." I flinched then looked over to see Kai staring back at me.

It was fairly dark in the room but I felt the concern in his eyes and touch. I shook my head. "I'm fine." I ran my hands down my face and forced a smile. "I'm okay."

He looked at me then narrowed his eyes. "You're not." Somehow, Grayson had managed to sleep soundly during this though he was a deep sleeper. "Come here."

"Kai-"

"Baby come here."

I rose a brow at his tone, he either used when he was anger or turned on. Yet this time it seemed to be associated with another emotion.

Possibly worry?

He had lifted Grayson onto his chest, keeping his hand on his back to secure him. "Ri." Kai opened his arm to me. I smiled slightly and shifted over into his protection.

Kai put his arm around me, making me feel immediately safe. I hummed in relief and snuggled my face into his shoulder. Neither of us spoke a word, but we didn't need to because our actions said enough. Instead he placed a kiss on my forehead and ran his hand down my back.

++++

Dear diary,

So I know, long time no see. But I just need to remove these thoughts from my head. And what better way then to write them down.

I guess where to begin is my newly realised love for Kai is going to be death of me, whether physically or emotionally. It's going to ruin me. Of course, I love my son more than the world and in fact him and Kai are on the same level. But it is concerning me about how much of my life Kai has become, i can't picture myself without him and hope I never am.

And, to make matters even worse, all of the heretics know my vulnerability for not only Grayson, but Kai. I should leave Mystic Falls soon because wasn't what I signed up for.

The plan was to return, catch up with everyone, murder Lily and travel around Asia. Kai was interested in the culture and wanted to learn more about it.

- Riley xoxo

"Xoxo." I read the last part, shutting the diary. I let out a sigh and drummed my fingers against my book. I didn't have anyone to speak to so writing that diary entry did help a little.

Damon and I were close but our friendship never really took a serious tone, it was full of humour. Elena and I were getting there, my previous problems with her were fading and she seemed to take a liking for Kai and I as a couple especially when she saw how well Kai treated Grayson. Caroline and I had formed a friendship but I don't think we had touched on anything serious.

Part of me wanted to speak to Jo, but she was back with Ric at Whitmore. The two of them were trying to have a normal life. And Bonnie wanted Kai dead, even tried to kill him, so she was ruled out.