Part III: Chapter 35

Knock knock knock! On the front door.

My heart thumped in terror, the panic rising in my voice as I cried into the radio in the attic. "Code red. Woodman is here. He brought three men with him... Come in, Raven, Woodman is here!"

Knock knock knock knock knock!

I called into the radio, begging for Raven, but...he probably didn't have his turned on anyways. No no no, what do I do?!

Knock knock knock...!

"Melly, get the f*ckin door!" Grandma screamed.

No, I can't go get that door, he'll take me away and lock me up and do unspeakable things like he did to Raven...

I hurried out of the attic and halfway down the stairs to the main level, careful to make sure Woodman and his men couldn't see me.

Grandma Nancy, in a tacky pink robe and slippers, shuffled angrily out of her room muttering to herself as she headed to open the front door.

"Grandma, don't open that!" I hissed.

"Melly, what in tarnation?! I done told you to open the f*ckin-"

"Don't open the door," I begged her, hoping that for once she would listen to reason. "There are bad men outside that want to hurt me!"

She furrowed her brows and leaned in closer and eagerly asked, "You mean...from the ancient stories?! Coyote is here?!"

"They're not from the stories, but it is connected..." I tried to explain as vaguely as possible. "Please don't let them in. We need to call the police!" My phone, where is my phone?!

I'd never seen Grandma so intent and alert. She frowned at the front door and adjusted her thick glasses, trying to see through the window at who it was. As soon as her eyes adjusted, she went "Oh!" and relaxed, shuffling towards it. "Melly, this is just Hunter come to visit me! He asked to swing by and have tea," she said excitedly, as if it were exotic. "Goodness me, I didn't expect him so early in the morning!"

Oh no no no no... I raced up the stairs, just barely landing in the upstairs hallway as Grandma unlocked and opened the front door, letting Woodman and the three unfamiliar men in.

"Ah, a pleasure as always, Nancy," Woodman greeted my grandma. "What a gorgeous place you have here, almost as pleasing to the eye as your lively face in this morning glow."

"Well ain'tchu just a ray'a sunshine!" Grandma burst.

Ew, f*cking gross... Garbage psychopath flattering piece of sh*t... Where is Grandma's shotgun?! Unfortunately I couldn't sneak downstairs, but if I could get to it...

"I would just love to continue our conversation where it left off," Woodman said. "I brought the best of help with me to look for that critter your attic. Just to make sure nothing is living up there, you know what I mean?"

"Wonderful, wonderful," Grandma said as I heard her putting a teapot on the stove, and probably hadn't really heard a word he'd said. "It's just jazzy to have that young, fresh energy bouncin' 'round here."

I slid into my room, wishing it had a lock as I heard the men thundering up the steps

I slid into my room, wishing it had a lock as I heard the men thundering up the steps. After a panicked look around the room for places to hide, I picked my closet. I fixed the curtain after I slid behind it and tried to hide behind my hanging clothes.

Their boots stomped down the hallway, throwing open both the closet and my bedroom door

Their boots stomped down the hallway, throwing open both the closet and my bedroom door. But only one of them went up to the attic, because two of them walked into my room; the redhead, and the big strong one. Raven said the big one was named Percy.

"Nothing," the third man, the older one in a baseball cap, said as he climbed back down from the attic. "Just evidence, and a radio."

"Well, she's not in here," the redhead reported. "Boss is sure he saw that girl in the window?"

The older man scoffed at the redhead and gruffly assured him, "Hunter's sure."

"Hey, you think Birdsh*t banged her?" Percy asked the others.

"Shut up, dumbass," the redhead insulted.

"Seriously. Earnest," Percy addressed his older ally, "You see a nest up there? Feathers everywhere? Maybe some dried c*m all over it?"

Despite being the shortest guy there, the redhead elbowed the towering Percy. "Shut the f*ck up, you dumb f*ck! You need to take this sh*t seriously."

"You check the closet yet?" Earnest, the older one asked the redhead, guessing my hiding place.

"No, I..." Percy turned my way.

I gulped, trembling as I waited for my cover to be blown at any minute, hearing heavy steps loom closer and closer. I tried to breathe quieter, my gasping sounding deafening in the clothing-muffled silence, but my panic only made me hyperventilate. 

Step.

He's going to find me. He's going to torture me like he did to Raven, but I'll never be able to escape, because I'm not muscled or strong like him... And the things my imagination suggested a group of scary, burly men could do to a girl my age threw me of the brink of tears.

Step.

I wish Raven were here. No, I wish I could've gone with him. I didn't want to be kidnapped and be as broken and scarred as Raven did when he emerged... I would never be able to withstand what he could; he's...superhuman. Under the same treatment, I'd be dead in weeks.

Step.

Please don't hurt me...