Part II: Chapter 29

My skin prickled and I shivered, my now-empty hands trembling.

"I said 'pleased to meet you,'" Woodman repeated. "I have just been speaking with the wonderful...my apologies, what was your name milady?"

My grandmother was smitten. "Nancy Jenkins. And this is my granddaughter Melody."

"Uh..." I uttered, jaw dropped and eyes wide. "Grandma, let's go."

"Melly, don't be rude to Mr. Woodman, you try that ag-"

"I left a casserole in the oven," I lied. "We're already running behind. It was nice to meet you but we should really go."

As I stumbled into the driver's seat, leaving the milk jug behind, Grandma exclaimed, "That was so rude! Melly, you little cockblocker!"

"He wasn't trying to bang you, Grandma," I said dismissively, the tires screeching as we spun out onto the road. He's trying to take my Raven...

Ignoring Grandma screaming in my ear next to me, I knew Hunter was back at the station behind tire skids and an abandoned milk jug, smirking.

He had found his bird.

.

.

I raced up the stairs. Finally out of sight of Grandma, I let my panic show, my breaths heaving and my eyes watering. By the time I scrambled up to the attic I was crying.

"Raven!" I hissed as soon as I got up there, but after hearing the clamor he was already on his feet staring at the attic's entrance.

"Are you alright?!" he scanned me head to toe looking for injuries as he wondered what had happened to put me in such a state.

"I found him talking to Grandma, he knows that I know he looked me right in the eyes... Hunter Woodman, that's his name, isn't it? That psychopath?"

Raven froze.

Eyes wide. Muscles tight. Breath still. Heart stopped.

His jaw parted slightly as if he wanted to say something, or hope he'd misheard...