Part II: Chapter 28

When I woke up to my watch alarm the next morning, Raven was there in bed, sleeping next to me, facing me as usual, his wings splayed out.

I sighed as I recalled our last conversation, which accidentally woke him up. He blinked his dark eyes open and brushed his hair out of his face, as well as a feather out of his hair.

"Good morning," he said quietly.

"Good morning," I replied, deciding to wait until I asked about him leaving again. Right then, we were together, and so damn cozy...

Raven yawned and curled his wing to hover over the both of us, blocking out the blinding morning light for just a few more seconds.

He reached behind my back and pulled me in close to him, leaning his forehead against mine. "I love you," he whispered.

My heart leapt. He said it!

"It makes everything more complicated, but I do," he said. "I don't want to leave you, and I suppose I can put it off for maybe a few days since his dogs haven't been back..."

"Thank you, I-I love you too," I breathed, relieved that for at least the time being, I didn't have to lose him.

"Just know, I do have to leave within days. I'm sorry. I wish it were different, I wish so bad...but I swear I'll be back for you."

"How...long are you going to be gone?"

He swallowed. "Maybe a year. Maybe more."

"What?! No! Raven, that's too long!"

"Then I'll keep it to just a year, and I'll check in with you when I can, but it's going to be something like that. I'm sorry, I am...but I won't risk you. I won't risk this."

He held me in his big, strong pale-olive-toned arms and kissed me, his wings slowly drifting away and revealing the lit room around us

Reveling in the kiss still tingling on my lips, I hoisted up the courage to ask, "Before you leave, um...are we going to, you know...um...more than cuddle?"

His eyes widened at the abrupt suggestion. "I-I don't want to hurt you," he hissed immediately and quickly.

"Well...there are things we can do together that won't hurt me, I'm j-just saying... You don't have to be afraid, it's just...I feel like now we're kind of...running out of time, and if we don't we'll...always wonder."

"You're better off wondering," Raven advised. "I'm doing all of this to protect you, I'm not risking that."

"But are you sure–"

"Take it from the one who knows my own head inside and out," he quickly interrupted. "I could kill you, and we can't risk it."

I sighed, and leaned into his embrace for just a little longer, though I knew I had to get up and take care of Grandma.